Those look very nice, but they are way out of the pricerange of what I can do for him. Kinda also too nice to treat the way it will be used.

I am trying to scrape up the cash for the ILBE large ruck.

Those packs are built nice so they can withstand a beating. Trust me, they will take any and all abuse save for a raging inferno. You can find em used for 150-200 if youre patient.

Yeah. I've been looking on ebay. I mixed up the friend's departure date so it's too late to get him one for this trip. That gives me time to bargain hunt. I have been seeing lots on ebay now that I know what to look for. It looks like complete packs can be $80-150. Also surplus kits with all the parts and some extras in the $130 range. It is tough to tell with some of the lots whether you are getting the frame or just all the cloth components and extras though. 

He's very familiar with it. Lived over there for over a year at a stretch. Been there a few other times too. He's been mugged (and frightened the muggers off) a few times, had people and stuff including passports held hostage by 'secret' police, and all of that stuff. Usually it is a ploy to steal property or extort a bribe. Everything is kind of negotiable by acting as if you are more in charge. If you resist, it implies you might know someone higher up the food chain. It's a messed up place, maybe getting due for some changes.