i know i have gotten a real late start on this but want to pic up some spare parts for my 762 bolt. or just a complete bolt if possible.

parts include : firing pin, firing pin "pin", extractor and spring and extractor pin. basically all bolt parts. if i was able to find a saiga bolt

would i have to worry about head space. could i use other parts from other bolts and which ones would be interchangeable. thanks 

for any help.

I used to spend way to much time thinking and looking online about the same thing.

Simple advice? Buy another unconverted x39. I know they're not as cheap as they have been but look around. When all is said and done you will have a complete set of "spare parts" that you can change into what you want on your own time and budget. Not the cheapest route but the most effective IMHO. Take it for what it's worth.

• Like 1

I used to spend way to much time thinking and looking online about the same thing.

Simple advice? Buy another unconverted x39. I know they're not as cheap as they have been but look around. When all is said and done you will have a complete set of "spare parts" that you can change into what you want on your own time and budget. Not the cheapest route but the most effective IMHO. Take it for what it's worth.

i would just save it for a later conversion.

AK-74 parts.

The bolt parts from my 5.45, and 7.62 interchange, my 7.62 actually has a 74 firing pin in it right now, the original broke.

what country is your 74 parts from. i would assume Bulgarian parts should swap out with no problem

I think it was Bulgarian, I bought 2 or 3 at the time, so I would have backups in case it happens again.

I've always heard that Bulgarian 74s are near exact (maybe exact) copies of the Russian 74s.

• Like 1

KVAR had complete saiga bolts a while back and still offer parts from time to time.  I made a post here about a year ago the last time that they were available.  http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/94646-dont-forget-parts-complete-saiga-bolts-still-available-for-x39-545/

The sanctions make this much less likely these days, but they are also known for sitting on inventory and "finding it in the back" later, only to mark it up considerably.

You would definitely need to check the headspace on a new bolt.   You could luck out and have it fit without issue, or in a worst case scenario you would need a qualified builder to pull the barrel and set the headspace from scratch.  Just because it closes, doesn't mean it's safe to fire, so if you do find another bolt, make sure you do it right because its not just the rifle, but potentially your safety on the line if you are not diligent about it.

• Like 3

From what I have seen, odds are the bolt and trunnion go together in one big bang.. Which means a full rebuild or at least pressing out the barrel and head spacing.

Just get a firing pin, extractor and the needed springs. Hammer spring is also a good one.

Get a spare trigger set as well. I keep a few $3 Romanian semi sets around, I figure if I NEED a replacement and can't order one, odds are 922r is not on my mind.

Bolts don't seem to be the failure point. Its the small parts or the springs.

• Like 2

If that is cast they are insane.

But we are talking saiga rifles.

I agree...I don't expect that our Russian bolts will break but that didn't stop me from picking up a spare when they were available.

• Like 3

The bolt and trunnion are paired to within a very few thousands of an inch. I'd just look for a spare firing pin and avoid dry-firing it.

You can let the hammer down easy, with the top cover off.

These rifles have few parts that will fail.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • 3 weeks later...

That's how I see it too.

Instead of stocking a bunch of spare parts, stock a spare identical rifle.

Of course once you have them, then you need another spare to cover the first two.    smile.png

Although if you stock different rifles, then you fix the problem of common mode failures.

(ie. the same exact failure on every copy of that gun, for ex. several broken cast bolts)

At least the backup rifles can be bargain finds from Gunbroker, pawn shop, etc.

So the ultimate solution is to buy lots of guns.   smile.png

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 4

I just saw that there's one for sale over the AKFiles forum for $155.00.

I would definitely want to see photos before sending the funds, but hopefully this helps you out.

http://www.akfiles.c...ad.php?t=231876

I'm a member over there as well.  I picked up 2 extra bolts, springs, and even another Arsenal 2-stage FCG for that price.  One of the bolts even had a perfect headspace for my rifle.  big_smile.gif

Edited by Lone Eagle

I just saw that there's one for sale over the AKFiles forum for $155.00.

I would definitely want to see photos before sending the funds, but hopefully this helps you out.

http://www.akfiles.c...ad.php?t=231876

I'm a member over there as well. I picked up 2 extra bolts, springs, and even another Arsenal 2-stage FCG for that price. One of the bolts even had a perfect headspace for my rifle. big_smile.gif
(Love my Arsenal two-stage trigger.) Edited by Sim_Player