Brought home the new S12

Here we go! Im thinking trigger group and a wood stock to start her out! Kinda tossing the idea around of using the parts from my first S12 which was a Pauly victim. Could a guy just use the bolt and carrier etc? Any thing I should be concerned about if I go that route or should I just start fresh? Best part is this is a 4 port and all the ports are lined up just right! Gonna take her to the range next week and see what happens just as she is.

IMG_9551.jpgIMG_9555.jpg

• Like 2

Yes you could move the parts from the old to the new. 12 gauges head space on the rim so it shouldnt be an issue

Could you or others that are knowledgeable elaborate on this.  I think I've seen this a few times before and always wondered.

Is headspace not an issue with a shotgun?   Does this mean that all S12 bolts are compatible? 

Last S12 was part of the Pauly Steelin fiasco.

Good idea on the range before you operate. Yes you could move the parts from the old to the new. 12 gauges head space on the rim so it shouldnt be an issue
What happened to the last s12?

• Like 1

Take the steelerized bolt carrier with you and test with that. If it works, keep it. Sell the OEM carrier to one of the other victims. Make a little more win out of it.

Also, don't forget that when you convert, your new hammer will add drag if you do not profile it.

• Like 1

Rimmed cartridges STILL NEED TO BE HEADSPACED!

The bolt and front trunnion need to be lapped to make the lugs SHARE the load evenly, and then the headspace set so the shell is held tight enough for proper ignition of the primer by the firing pin, but loose enough for the lugs to lock properly. 

Any time a bolt and trunnion are miss matched this needs to be done. 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously shotguns chambered for both 2.75 and 3 inch shells (like the Saiga) can't be headspace. Besides, it's a rimmed cartridge so it doesn't need a lip to hold it.

As another Pauly victim, I would love for this to be true but I am skeptical. Why do they make 12ga. Go and No Go headspace gauges then? They are much shorter than an actual shell. 

• Like 2

Ive switched a few different Saiga 12 bolts and carriers between guns and this has been my experience. While some rotate into battery and headspace fine with gauges, it is the cam on the bolt and the cam cutout on the carrier that can cause issues when using mismatched bolts and carriers. Then there are the bolts that do not even rotate into battery in other guns other than the original because the barrel hood has an angled edge that initiates bolt rotation and the barrel hood is different lengths in different guns.

Same with gas blocks. Some come off with a few taps from a mallet, others take a 20 ton press and heat. Keep this one the way it is.    

I have never needed heat or a press to remove a gas block from a Saiga 12, Vepr 12, or a Catamount Fury. The key is to give the gas block a few whacks back and forth to the side before driving it off. this breaks the burrs left from when they originally drove the pins in. I use a Delrin block to drive the gas block off. The barrel must be firmly supported in a well mounted vise. Mine is attached to a bench that weighs at least 600 pounds that I made from I beam. It takes me all of about a minute or so.

I have never needed heat or a press to remove a gas block from a Saiga 12, Vepr 12, or a Catamount Fury. The key is to give the gas block a few whacks back and forth to the side before driving it off. this breaks the burrs left from when they originally drove the pins in. I use a Delrin block to drive the gas block off. The barrel must be firmly supported in a well mounted vise. Mine is attached to a bench that weighs at least 600 pounds that I made from I beam. It takes me all of about a minute or so.

Plus 1 ^^^. I Rescued a S-12 from someone who heated the gas block and distorted the thru bore that attaches the GB to the barrel, Good advice! If you did heat the GB, check to see if the hole is round. Use a small brake hone to remove the ovality (distortion) and use a precision measuring device to measure the GB as you hone. Of course I purchased the S-12 at salvage price!

Edited by machinist