Is a buffer necessary?

Hey Y'all:

I want to ask if a recoil buffer is necessary or is it just a gimmick to make you feel better in some way. Is there a real mechanical reason for needing a recoil buffer? Does it help with longevity of your Saiga .223 rifle?

Just wondering. I remebered my Saiga doesn't have one yet. Shoots just fine so far. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Squeaky

I always figure that shortening the length of the bolt carrier stroke, by adding a buffer, does more harm and is more likely to cause short-cycling than not having the buffer. Kalashnikov designed it well.

• Like 2

I agree with YOT and would also add that it could actually have the potential to harm longevity.  Instead of the carrier barely glancing the rear trunnion, that trunnion is now taking the full force of the impact (although padded) every time.   It is the recoil spring's job to stop the carrier's rearward movement, but if you put the buffer in, it is being artificially stopped short, with all of that energy transferred to the rear trunnion.

There is also the potential for that piece of rubber to degrade over time and break apart, possibly jamming up the rifle.   Though it would probably not cause any actual problems, I wouldn't put them in my guns if you paid me.

There was even one builder (I think gunplumber) over on AKfiles that claimed someone sent him a rifle for repair that had used a buffer, though it may have been overgassed. Over time the impact of the carrier on the buffer had caused the buffer to "mushroom" with each impact, and had pushed the rear of the receiver outwards and deformed the rivets.

• Like 1

I use shock buffers on all my semi autos, especially my M1911s. Many people say they are "snake oil". A few even say as above, they can do more harm than good. Tens of thousands of rounds using shock buffers, and I haven't experienced a problem one. I used to shoot M1911s competitively, that's how I can claim so many rounds. IMO, a shock buffer is a necessity. To each his own I guess? 

To add one thing. Many guys claim a shock buffer is not needed on a pistolsmith custom built M1911 such as I use because the slide to frame fit is perfectly square and battering / peening can't happen. It is hard to argue that point, but, stop and think, is the bolt to frame fit on a AK perfectly square? No way ... no how. I use shock buffs. Again, to each his own.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I run my 223 with a heavy duty spring because all I shoot in it is nato or hot as I can reloads.

Other wise you should leave it stock and not waste your money on gimmicks.

I guess the heavier spring would soften the recoil on 223 but recoil with 223 is not really an issue in my opinion

Edited by jerry52

I've been wondering if buffers would actually prevent the taill on bolt carriers from mushrooming out bad...the hammer reset specifically seems to flatten out and deform over time on many ak type guns.

No, the tail of the bolt carrier often mushrooms due to the sharp corners on the hammer of the G2 triggers.  The rear corner is the one most responsible, and you can see this by slowly pulling the charging handle back when the hammer is in the forward position.   You'll see where the tail hits that hard corner and deforms.   If you're careful, you can round out that hard corner on the hammer (not the hammer face itself) with a hand file and sandpaper to prevent this or keep it from getting worse.

From what I have seen, this is more of an issue on Hungarian and Yugo rifles.   I think that the Russians and Bulgarians might be using slightly harder steel because they don't seem to mushroom as severely on this edge.

The tail itself never touches the trunnion as in the furthest rearward position it is nested inside the rear of the recoil spring assembly.

Assuming you have a G2 in the rifle this is the part of the hammer that is deforming your bolt carrier. (circled in red)

post-47428-0-88474600-1442516034.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No SIMPLE answers. I use buffers if they work IN THAT GUN. I do have a gun that will not work without one, but that one is a bastard parts build and the bolt runns off the rails without one.