Decent performance for cast slugs with rifled choke - video, not mine

I think this guy (Wade Rush) has some borderline dangerous reloading practices, and very much a trial and error method, so I feel like I should say that up front. I like trial, but the price for ERROR, is too high for me with reloading. You're an adult and can take your own risks, but I do want to be careful not to endorse dangerous information and trip up someone who is learning.

That aside, he's helpful and puts a lot of his unscientific testing out there. It gives you a feel for what works and what doesn't but not so much that you could count on repeatable results. He does show as much footage of the actual hunting (small southeastern deer). That gives a good idea of what a real load will actually do in practice. He hunts a lot and uses a variety of ammo, including homemade slugs and buckshot.

There are a few things he has done which I think are worth a copy. He'll also promptly reply, and wants to help.

Anyway, here is an example of what a lyman 525 can do from an 870 with sights and a rifled choke tube.

I was given a few of these slugs and am trying to decide which recipe to start with for testing. I have a rifled choke, and a handfull of powders. I don't have a roll crimper, and frankly would prefer to keep things simple and stick with fold crimping. I am good at dialing in a machine to give very consistent fold crimps.

Thoughts on the load? Better results from something you've tried?

I have the Lyman mold in both 12ga (525gn) and 20ga (350gn).  I have only used Blue Dot between 35 and 42 gns.  I have tried both roll and star crimp.  In my experience, the star crimp wants to push forward after loading.  The roll crimp holds much better.

Macbeau...

Thanks. I have blue dot What wad are you using?

BTW have a video on how to make your star crimps strong. If your crimps are popping out, then they aren't done as well as they could be. The secret to a good star crimp is it is locked in by  a roll crimp. That is a matter of dialing in a MEC press properly or doing a couple very simple mods to a Lee press to give your self some adjustment room.

Video on solving crimp issues: 

Video on improving Lee press. 

Using Winchester AA12 wads.  38gns of Blue Dot works great.  

I think you can use a Fed 12S3 as well.  I'd need to recheck that.

On the crimp.  It's like you need a back crimp (or lip crimp) before the star crimp.  I had thought it was the wad under compression causing the star crimp to open.  The roll crimp I use fits on my drill press and is a snap to use.  

I use a Lee loader and will check out the video for the mod/adjustment.  

Thanks!

Macbeau...

Thanks. 

It is the wad pressure, but a proper crimp will hold against that. Lee loaders are notorious for a flat weak crimp without either an inset fold or roll above the fold, or a taper. If you watch both of the videos you will see that the roll is actually affected by: The wad seat height, the pre crimp level, and how far the final crimp die is allowed to travel. Lee presses don't have a tool to taper the final roll, but the mods will solve the rest.

• Like 1

I watched both and I see what the problem is now.  I want to find the other videos he references in the second video.  Next time I load up a few, I'll try the roll with the star crimp. 

I need to cast up a few first.  I have about a hundred 20ga cast and ready to go (the 20's also work awesome in a .58 muzzle loader as a wadcutter minie ball), but none in 12ga..  Yesterday, I found my 12ga mold and a pile of lead and linotype so I'll fire up the lead pot and see what I get.  Your post / question got me interested in it again.

Macbeau

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 2

Mine doesn't go low enough.

The roll crimp I use fits on my drill press and spins the hull plastic until it's soft then folds it down with a light press.  Takes less than 5 secs/rd.  I was using and overshot card too, then discovered that it held the slug just fine without one.

Also  - Sorry - we seem to be having this discussion across two or three threads..  And it seems like you and I are the only ones interested in casting and loading the Lyman from scratch.

I am sensing that many just buy loaded rounds, dump the shot / slug load and re-seat these....horror.gif

I am too worried about pressures to do that myself.

Macbeau...

Edited by macbeau