A few years ago a friend of my cousin s family passed away and the wife didn't know what to do with all his firearms. My cousin stepped up and bought ALL of them from her (roughly 100 guns). After picking out the few he wanted to keep for himself he took all of them to the LGS and got quotes for what they would pay for the rest. He then let all the family and friends of his go through and buy what they/we wanted at the gun stores offering prices (what a guy). My dad and brother picked up about 6 guns, I got my beloved 1953 Browning A5, and he sold off another big handful to his friends. Fast forward a few years to last week. My kids have been showing a growing interest in the shooting sports, so I asked him if he had any of the single shot scatter guns left as I wanted to grab my boy a simple 12 gauge. He said "yep, I've got a few and a 20 gauge too, stop by and grab them". I already knew the deal he was planning on giving me (because I'm sure an offer from the LGS on a single shot 12 was probably fairly low. I was finally able to stop by last night and he brought 4-12 gauges and the 20 out of the basement and gave me the bit of info he had on them. 1 or 2 are probably wall hangers (1 of which is missing the forearm), 1 needs a GOOD cleaning, and 2 were pretty good condition. I grabbed one of the nicer 12's and the 20, and said I'd take them. He goes "Naw, take them all. Fix them up, hang them on the wall, I don't care". So we threw them in the back of my car and I asked what he wanted for them. He goes "nothing, just take them"... I couldn't believe it. I offered to pay him, and told him I didn't expect them for free at all, but he insisted. 5 free shotguns, hard to beat. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them. Some old brands I've never heard of (Essex, Iver Johnson, Stevens, Crescent Firearms). Kinda cool, I wonder how many critters have met their end at the muzzle of these old workhorses. A couple will probably see use, but the rest seem a little too sloppy to be comfortable shooting them. I don't want to put them on the wall, my kiddos are responsible, but they're still kids. Any suggestions? 

20150818_004559_zpscjqhyl1c.jpg

• Like 5

Some day I want to be a bit like your cousin. That would just feel great.

Have him come and shoot clays with your kids. I bet he would enjoy that a lot. Barbecue him something awesome.

• Like 5

Let's see. You were given 5 free shotguns, you planned on paying for a couple already. I would use that money, head over to Numrich's website, find what you need for each, and fix them up one by one. Nice collection you got there.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Numrich / Gun Parts Corp will probably have that fore end and any small parts that are missing or damaged. 

The 20 is probably the more fun one to shoot.  I had an old Stevens throw-lever in 12 that was a bear with recoil,  At 5lbs (+/-), they are light for 12ga.

Macbeau sends...

• Like 2

Midway has done a bunch of videos on how to repair those old fud guns. The single shots roughly the same concept as a double, just more simplistic.

The section showing methods to tighten a break action start at around 7:40 

• Like 2

The 20 is probably the more fun one to shoot.  I had an old Stevens throw-lever in 12 that was a bear with recoil,  At 5lbs (+/-), they are light for 12ga.

Macbeau sends...

The 20 is indeed a stevens with the lever on the side (far left in the picture). It's pretty light as well... going to have to give it a test run for sure before handing it to the daughter. 

Midway has done a bunch of videos on how to repair those old fud guns. The single shots roughly the same concept as a double, just more simplistic.

The section showing methods to tighten a break action start at around 7:40 

Holycow, thanks! I'll have to give that video an in-depth watch a few times when I get some free time. 

• Like 2

Most of those Larry Potterfield tech vids. have a short and long version. So if somethings seems too cursory, look around in the related videos and there is probably a more in depth cut of the topic.

• Like 1

Got to try a few of them out on Sunday. Took my boy out for his first time shooting (without helping him hold the gun). Turns out one of the 12's is actually a 20. Although it looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet, it was a good shooter. The 12 that seemed to be in the best condition actually needs some work (automatically breaks open when shot). The other 20 I took is a good shooter as well, but is definitely best suited for a younger shooter with it's chopped-down stock. The AOW is always a blast!

While cleaning up our empties my son said "can I keep my first shell?", I was somewhat upset I hadn't though of it. 

20150823_130005_zpsnazlrep9.jpg

Our makeshift range-table for the day. 

20150823_130657_zpsg7lsc7xm.jpg

Selection of noise-makers for the day. 

20150823_131510_zpsvbo9jxio.jpg

Mini-me wanted to send a picture to mom. 

20150823_130117_zpspurexnug.jpg

Our rangemaster for the day. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjUMQkGVXp0 

Munchkin throwing some lead. 

• Like 1