So I've been following another thread here about another location having gun law problems (rightfully so)

Initially I wanted to post in the thread but I realize that would take away from the point of the thread and I don't want to do that.

Point being. Some if the folks in the northwest and northeast ( and even Colorado a couple years ago) have lost gun rights and things may be getting worse for them.

While I certainly don't relish this by any means, I'd like to make a point.

Everyone loves to dish on Chicago and cook county. Yes, they are a bastion of anti gunner laws but for fun, lets take a look.

In the last 5-7 years - cook county/ Chicago has-

"Allowed " aows

"Allowed" sbrs. ( through a c&r bill passed a few years back. Backhanded, yes, but how many problems have sbrs caused? (One step at a time)

Lost the ban on handguns in cook county

Passed ( as the last state) a CC bill. Somewhat gun owner friendly.

Getting gun stores back in Chicago. ( yes, video checks, probably DNA and a host of other things, but still, a step forward. )

And there is a bill on the floor to "allow " suppressors.

Point being, can anyone tell me of an area in this country that has moved foeard this much in removing gun regulation? I can't think of one.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

I guarantee the next 7 posts either bash Chicago/ cook county/ democrats with no real point.

Or I get 50 views and no answers.

Curious to see what happens.

• Like 6

No bashing here, and trust me I am no democrat. Chicago, Cook county has come a long way in the past couple of years. It is just that they have come a long way kicking and screaming. The gains made for freedom and the 2A is not because those running the city or county have had an epiphany, it is because the courts have forced them. I will be excited when I see the politicians in the city of Chicago and the county of Cook voluntarily introduce and pass pro-gun legislation.

• Like 5

So I've been following another thread here about another location having gun law problems (rightfully so)

Initially I wanted to post in the thread but I realize that would take away from the point of the thread and I don't want to do that.

Point being. Some if the folks in the northwest and northeast ( and even Colorado a couple years ago) have lost gun rights and things may be getting worse for them.

While I certainly don't relish this by any means, I'd like to make a point.

Everyone loves to dish on Chicago and cook county. Yes, they are a bastion of anti gunner laws but for fun, lets take a look.

In the last 5-7 years - cook county/ Chicago has-

"Allowed " aows

"Allowed" sbrs. ( through a c&r bill passed a few years back. Backhanded, yes, but how many problems have sbrs caused? (One step at a time)

Lost the ban on handguns in cook county

Passed ( as the last state) a CC bill. Somewhat gun owner friendly.

Getting gun stores back in Chicago. ( yes, video checks, probably DNA and a host of other things, but still, a step forward. )

And there is a bill on the floor to "allow " suppressors.

Point being, can anyone tell me of an area in this country that has moved foeard this much in removing gun regulation? I can't think of one.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

I guarantee the next 7 posts either bash Chicago/ cook county/ democrats with no real point.

Or I get 50 views and no answers.

Curious to see what happens.

Well, I live in Montana and we made significant progress in asserting our rights as Americans and the inherent rights associated with them. Instead of fixing a shit show like other states have, we just reinforced a good thing. My children wont go deaf like I did from hunting and marksmanship. You can now legally hunt with noise suppression on your rifles and pistols in Montana. This is just one of the significant reinforcements the Montana Shooting Sports Association and other fine people and organizations have accomplished in the past ten years.

There are a lot of good people from Chicago, most have moved out because of the political, social and economic environment around them. I have to friends out here from Chicago and they will never go back. Well, they go see family sometimes.

I avoid that state while traveling. I believe that if we ever did go full communist in this country, Chicago would be the end result of a failed attempt to go full Marx.

• Like 3

Kicking and screaming, but passing. That's what matters. They scream when we win. Incremental, but moving in the right direction. A few of our states took some hits, including mine,WA which got SBR, Cans AOW, not FA, not DD, not SBS. Is shall issue, and most state parks and fed lands are open to carry. Unfortunately, now almost all sharing of guns is quasi illegal under a completely unenforceable new law.  We'll probably kill that one soon. We are losing the practical ability to actually fire our guns on a lot of the public lands shooting areas under "fire control" and other similar pretexts.

Probably the last time this much progress was made was 1776 or perhaps 1791 when 2A became official.

• Like 3

fatty alcohol;  excellent point, post and thank you.  Out here in Oregon, we have just taken several nasty hits with new bad state laws regarding the Second Amendment.  Now any time a PRIVATE gun sale takes place, the buyer must be run through the perfect benign Oregon State Police instant back ground check.

A system proved to be badly flawed.  Political?  It happened to me in fact.  It gets better.  I need to confirm this then post later if this is still true.  Seems the official language of that nasty requirement now has magically changed to include the SELLER as well as the buyer.  Not in the original language at all.  We will see.  HB

• Like 3

Updated info regarding the Oregon Private Sale Law.  No language has changed.  However, what appears to be happening is that when a private seller contacts the State Police Instant ID Check system, they demand both the BUYER AND SELLER be included.  Not just the BUYER.  Seems you can not use the instant ID check system as written by law.  If you do not include BOTH, the check will not go through.  Then what do you do?  Dunno.  Interesting situation.  But then again Salem, our Oregon State Capitol has become a very interesting place indeed.  Down the rabbit hole.  HB

Do any of you guys outside of Illinois have a grass roots firearms community that are watch dogs of any and all potential firearms legislation, in your States?

Illinoiscarry and ISRA are huge here.

There are a few here in SC. Always pushing and defending. NRA is very active

• Like 1

Do any of you guys outside of Illinois have a grass roots firearms community that are watch dogs of any and all potential firearms legislation, in your States?

Illinoiscarry and ISRA are huge here.

MA has GOAL (Gun Owners Action League) and Comm2A. GOAL is the legislative side of the fight to get rights back here and Comm2A is the judicial attack, taking on any and all cases they can to reverse or remove anti-2A laws. So far nothing has really changed (GOAL did get the state to finally allow pepper spray without a firearms license) but it would appear with the court rulings across the country there may be some swing in the pro-2A community here. Similar to Chicago, it seems as if the only way to get a good amount of really bad laws overturned is the court system

Hey guys sorry to abandon the thread. Busy couple of days. Fortuanetly Sundays biggest deal is dinner ( expect a pic in the chilirellno dinner thread) and a whole lotta nuthin. I'm even skipping the gym to clean a few guns long past due.

Thanks for all the posts. I'm glad to be proven wrong by the good members here. Ill post tommorrow. Have a good night

Glad to hear it things are good in Montana Stryker. I'm starting an extremely preliminary search on a retirement state. ( it sure as hell isn't going to be Illinois) Montana is at the top. Texas would be, but I hate the heat. Hate it. I'd rather stock up on food and be snowed in for 3 months screwing around in a barn/shop than sit in a puddle of my sweat for 2 month out if the year. No offense texans- I love your state. Just too hot for me. Anyways, back to the point.

Gunfun, mullet man, right on. Kicking and screaming a bit, but still happening. Darth said something a long while back that struck a chord with me. Don't remember the thread but the basic wording was the only way we can truly fight the antis is to win back one thing at a time and prove it doesn't cause the end of civilization. Repeat until all our rights have been restored.

Illinios is a long way from that. But for what's its worth I think we're on the right path.

Also, the reason I started this post and forgot halfway through, (sad, huh, forgot the point of what you want to day before you even say it? Guess I need to up the ginkgo biloba)

Cook county wanted to pass a similar law a few years back. 5 cent a round tax, $25 tax on guns. Bill failed to pass when real common sense prevailed.

There is some hope out there.

Also, no post to chiles dinner thread. Brother in law dropped off a few extra pizzas so we're set. And we've all seen a pizza. But I do have some stuff lined up through the winter to give chile a run for his money I hope :)

The wife and were married in the cook county court house many moons ago. Guns where rampant then, just not legal in most cases.

Nice to see chi town on the way back from the left of left.

In the same topic, dad, better check your marriage certificate. It's in small print but if you get married in cook county your are required to forever order pizza only deep dish and with extra sausage :) Edited by fatty alcohol
  • Like 1