Need help removing detent from plunger/guide rod assembly

Long story short, I registered with you guys awhile ago and then got pretty busy but I did continue to follow posts, how-to's and build ideas. I finished my conversion long ago but recently my Saigas detent has made getting the reciever cover off almost impossible and considering it wont clear the cover my bet is its broken. After searching I could not find anything but muzzle detent topics, I need a quick fix to remove the detent till i can replace it with something that has a lip and no spring loaded detent. Thanks in advance for the help.

post-47877-0-20626100-1440295945_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

You're talking about the little button on top of the tab that you push in to get the dust cover off?

I got hung up on a restoration job, my bad. Yes and it is litterally damaged. No amount of oil or tinkering will make it clear the dust cover. I gotta remove it and i have no exp with this part besides possibly cutting it off. Id love to know a better way if possible.

I would locate another "return spring guide", that way no amount of boogering will render your gun useless for long.

1st option: can you get something like needle nose vice grips to crush the button back down into it's hole so you could then push the spring guide in and get the dust cover off?

2nd option: have somebody grind or dremel the button till it no longer prevents you from getting the dust cover off, then repair or swap parts as needed.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I would locate another "return spring guide", that way no amount of boogering will render your gun useless for long.

1st option: can you get something like needle nose vice grips to crush the button back down into it's hole so you could then push the spring guide in and get the dust cover off?

2nd option: have somebody grind or dremel the button till it no longer prevents you from getting the dust cover off, then repair or swap parts as needed.

Thanks for the asist Boomka, I agree. I was hoping to find out how they factory install the detent but no luck, dremel was my only option. Even cutting it in half gave me enough clearence. I bought a henged gas block, reciever cover and "spring carrier" with a lip and no detent but the more difficult part was salvaging the Saigas guide rod since it was meant for an m92. I got held up this month on some RG automatic pistols, preban. I managed to save 9 out of a dozen. If you or your buds might be interested feel free to message me. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1