One thing I have thought of a fair amount is wilderness subsistence. I think a hand pump and a .357 shrouded air rifle with a decent mold could keep food on the table indefinitely. They are quiet for the amount of muzzle energy and in most places don't even count as a firearm despite having what amounts to a suppressor on there and enough energy for elk hunting. Accurate too.

I want one.

Another angle on these is a .357 lever gun. you can take any game with it, reload easily. you can make mouse fart rounds that are plenty for small game, but barely make any noise with an 18 or 20" barrel. I cast some little 112 grain .358" SWCs that would do for a rabit or a coyote just fine. 

On that note, the same bullet in 9mm does great in the hipoint 995. If I didn't mind it being single shot, it could also be downloaded to use maybe 1.5 grains of bullseye and be a near silent small game round.

• Like 1
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, cause real tough guys don't talk about zombies.  Real tough guys are too grown up to talk about zombies.  Real tough guys swear at people who talk about zombies.  Cause they're real tough guys.

The best SHTF rifle? the one I pry from your dead fingers after my tribe of cannibal outlaws raid your shit because you posted your location, all the SHTF weapons and supplies you have on hand and all

Zombies are typically portrayed as brainless beings who destroy and devour the rest of humanity.   In other words, the apocalypse has already started and DC is overrun.

Posted Images

If owned any firearms I would have a go bag already packed with a folding carbine and pistol that share ammo and mags in 40 cal.

The ammo would be the very light very accurate very effective Liberty CD you know because well its my bag.

Wont do it all of course but if Im in that big a hurry then likely nothing else will be any better.

As I live in the US, .223 anything. 9mm anything (preferably a Glock). 12 gauge anything. Preferably a Saiga .223 which eats any kind of .223/5.56, and an S12 tuned to run.  Oh, and ammo. Lots, and lots of ammo. Lots.

3 guns and lots of ammo? The zombies will catch you quickly.

As I live in the US, .223 anything. 9mm anything (preferably a Glock). 12 gauge anything. Preferably a Saiga .223 which eats any kind of .223/5.56, and an S12 tuned to run.  Oh, and ammo. Lots, and lots of ammo. Lots.

3 guns and lots of ammo? The zombies will catch you quickly.

Hehe. Really heartbreaker? I don't think so.

No need to grow up, zombies are just a fun way to not sound like a tin foil hat nutjob, the same basic principals of a zombie apocalypse apply to most SHTF scenarios.

I went with weapons I own and the idea of bug out. Sticking with weapons I own and a choice I bug in, as stated there are perks to the country. Going with bug out and any gun I go with a suppressed .223 and suppressed 9mm if not  a suppressed .45 carbine and pistol just to focus on 1 ammo type to carry

• Like 2

Zombies? Grow the fuck up.

Yeah, cause real tough guys don't talk about zombies.  Real tough guys are too grown up to talk about zombies.  Real tough guys swear at people who talk about zombies.  Cause they're real tough guys.

• Like 8

Assuming a survival only situation.. Gather food, defend yourself from others in the same situation. While moving 10+ miles per day on foot.

I'd imagine break action single shot with three barrels. Shotgun, .22lr and a centerfire rifle round. The gun is light enough even with the two extra barrels.

.22lr has the unique ability to have lots of ammo in a small and reasonably light package, shotguns are the only way to take down birds in flight. And a centerfire rifle is the only reasonable defensive round if you only get one shot at a time over distance.

If I was leaving my home on foot I would be pulling a large wagon with as much extra stuff as I could pack on. You can always abandon extra water, food, ammo, guns, or tools. Have a pack with just what you need, but have some extra gear in a wagon.. Or use the wagon to haul the packs on flat ground.

People often overlook that your feet react badly to drastically increased distance.. In a group of 5 people someone is always going to be having a problem with their feet for the first week or so. A large wagon allows you to move the person reasonably easy without messing up another person in the group.

• Like 1

Supposedly Zombies are a parody of conservatives as Vampires are leftist parodies 

Perhaps in some cases, but not when referring to SHTF situations.

Generally zombie is used as a metaphor for bad people who will try to kill/steal/imprison in a societal breakdown.

Although I do know two people who genuinely believe in zombies.

• Like 2

Still like my 16" AR with can, 1-4 scope and .22 conversion.  Shoots .223 out to 500 and can shoot .22LR up close.  I have a couple of .22 pistols that are threaded to also use the suppressor.  Truthfully I'd rather stay at home instead of traveling on foot.  Got food, water, shelter, generator and neighbors that have stuff also.  With 60 coming up next year I think I'll just hang out and shoot the carpet baggers.

Doug

• Like 3

If I have to go right now I'm still throwing as much stuff as I can into my vehicle, forget taking just one. You can do a lot in 5 minutes if you have your stuff fairly well organized, with a BOB or equivalent. 

I would probably take WASR /w PSO, M92, AR, and .270 Win bolt gun. Anything that gets left behind gets its bolt removed. 

I doubt it will ever happen, but I still have full mag pouches set up for every rifle I own, except for the M77 .308. Each AK mag pouch has a NOS cleaning kit in it. I'm trying to get Magpul (or similar) storage grips on each rifle containing a bore snake in the storage cavity. They're all ready to grab and go. Every rifle in the safe has a sling and zeroed irons at the very least, I try to never leave anything stripped down or non-functional. Every major type of ammo I have fills at least one ammo can, one containing loose/small amounts of everything else I have. It can all be grabbed and out of the house in minutes, even if I have to leave a larger stash behind.. 

It's funny.. I had most of this stuff already set up because of hunting & camping hobbies years before I got into guns more seriously, or before society's future became questionable to me. I just liked having everything in its place and properly stored, never strewn around or missing. So all of my camping/survival gear stuff (including about a week of dehydrated meals) is already ready to go in several large bins. We always have several full 5-gal portable water containers in the garage along with it.

The problem is if you get all of this stuff into your vehicle in 5-10 minutes, then what? Most people haven't figured that out, or their destination simply isn't going to be reachable. If I wanted to go to family in MT or OR it would probably not be feasible in a real SHTF scenario. I've thought about it a few times, for many people there would have to be a warning point where things looked bad enough that it might be time to hit the road and leave town. You'll never know what that point actually is. People will be afraid of leaving their jobs, homes, etc. for fear that nothing may happen. 

Edited by mancat
  • Like 5

The problem is if you get all of this stuff into your vehicle in 5-10 minutes, then what? Most people haven't figured that out, or their destination simply isn't going to be reachable. If I wanted to go to family in MT or OR it would probably not be feasible in a real SHTF scenario. I've thought about it a few times, for many people there would have to be a warning point where things looked bad enough that it might be time to hit the road and leave town. You'll never know what that point actually is. People will be afraid of leaving their jobs, homes, etc. for fear that nothing may happen. 

MC,

I've given that same scenario a good deal of thought over the yrs, not for myself, but for others, family mainly.  My best conclusion is that if there is a SHTF moment in this country, that the city dwellers will have 3-5 days to leave before things really become unsafe TO leave.

We are coming up on the 9/11 anniversary, then the whole Rabbi Cahn thing has me in a guarded mindset.

Outside a nuclear strike, I believe any near future SHTF should be short lived and regional.

Situational awareness is a MUST as we witness everyday by those who do not practice that discipline

• Like 1

I think with my current set ups, i would snag my saiga 7.62x39 with hornady sst and--get this--my ruger sr22 pistol with aguila interceptors. My thought on the matter is if i have a rifle Im going to use said rifle for defense first. The ability to have a compact 22lr small game getter would outweigh the pistols need to be pressed into a defensive role but could be used if absolutely nothing else were available. Those interceptor rounds are pretty mean as well.

• Like 1

If it came down to it, anything left behind is going to be disabled.  But leaving firepower behind is not in the plan.

Leaving is not actually in the plan, but all options remain open if the unexpected happens.

By my thinking, when the shit really hits the fan, there will be initial confusion for a day or two when people who have never thought about SHTF suddenly get smacked with it.  Those who have thought about it will lay low.  Then 2 or 3 days of chaos when things will be very dangerous due to the number of desperate people.  The prepared will really lay low then.  Then a few days of relative calm as things begin to settle.  That's when I'd move if need be, because shortly after that gangs will start staking out territories and setting up roadblocks.  Or the government.  Not that much difference whether the gangs are wearing uniforms at that point.  The danger of moving goes way up and may be impossible to travel by road at all.

This scenario is for something that shuts down civilization fast.  Other scenarios will be slower, with similar steps taking longer.

Or maybe everybody will just come together and share and sing songs.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Supposedly Zombies are a parody of conservatives as Vampires are leftist parodies 

Well I do kind of hang my head and groan at what those vampires do, so maybe you are onto something.

Now I have to stock up on sharp wooden stakes I guess.

Just don't tell me the werewolves are coming, I can't afford that many silver bullets.

• Like 3

These things always start out fun and devolve into arguments about who has overlooked some minor judgement call about a scenario which is extremely improbable, and hard to predict at any rate.

For me the highest probabilites would be 1) some natural disaster or screwup knocking out facilities such as power and water for a few weeks, or interrupting transport of food and other supplies. That actually happened where I live due to severe snow combined with flooding. Our hill was on an island with nearly 5' of snow. It was close to 3 weeks before the roads were passable and power was up. We were fine, with food stores, a well and a generator. The generator powered up the well, and our house was super well insulated. Run it for an hour or two a day to charge up the heater, fill some buckets, flush the toilets, and charge the pressure tanks and we were good. 2) next would be some government thuggery like after the boston marathon or Katrina. Possibly in combo. 3) last would be some foreign war of ours coming home i.e. random ballistic strikes,  and guerillas to disrupt our country's will to fight.

All of these are less likely to matter in terms of actual risk to me than a major dental emergency wiping out my finances, or a car wreck, etc. So those things deserve more attention and resources. 

But if we are having fun discussing the apocalypse it's about how much gear I can throw in my car to feed myself for a while and arm a crew. I know people would show up at my house to bum supplies. I'd just plan on enlisting them into my crew. My play now involves teaching them to shoot and fix things anyway, so they are half way to useful. Half of them are good at agriculture, or woodcraft or emergency medicine. We could drive to the nearby elk feeding station and be well fed for the first week or two until other people got the same idea. 

Well I do kind of hang my head and groan at what those vampires do, so maybe you are onto something.

Now I have to stock up on sharp wooden stakes I guess.

Just don't tell me the werewolves are coming, I can't afford that many silver bullets.

Those are easy enough to make. I've got a mold which would make about 6 223 bullets per ounce. If I were casting for .357, one of my molds might just make two good bullets per silver dollar.  <would melt and be ruined.> I've thought of doing a few just for fun. The classic squib design 30-06 bullet mold would make for a cool looking silver projectile, which would work in the russian 30s too.

Edited by GunFun
  • Like 1

zombies are mindless consumers, stupid and violent, without culture or higher thought at all. so how libs think of conservatives

vampires meanwhile are highly sexual, godless, aristocratic parasites, they basically go against every religious tenant. all things conservatives think of liberals.