Let's see...  (Rounding all numbers to 1 decimal place for convenience)

7000 grains per pound.  12 troy ounces per pound, so 7000/12=583.3 grains per troy ounce.  Silver is .925 as dense as lead.  So assuming 60gr mold, the silver bullet would weigh 55.5gr.  That gives 10 223 bullets per ounce of silver.

But if I have to fight werewolves I'd rather go with silver buckshot.  You could make a standard 9 pellet 00 load from an ounce of silver with margin for error.

A friend of mine decided that little blessed silver crosses would be the perfect shotgun load for those times you just don't know what supernatural creature you'll come up against.

• Like 5
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, cause real tough guys don't talk about zombies.  Real tough guys are too grown up to talk about zombies.  Real tough guys swear at people who talk about zombies.  Cause they're real tough guys.

The best SHTF rifle? the one I pry from your dead fingers after my tribe of cannibal outlaws raid your shit because you posted your location, all the SHTF weapons and supplies you have on hand and all

Zombies are typically portrayed as brainless beings who destroy and devour the rest of humanity.   In other words, the apocalypse has already started and DC is overrun.

Posted Images

Zombies are what you get in every densely populated area 4 weeks after the grid goes out. Food runs out in 2 weeks, no grid, no pumps, no fuel.No water.

Those are the REAL zombies, and the only ones that you NEED to be ready for.

Things OTHER than guns - 32" Collins Guatamala, she cuts 2/12" bamboo with a ZZIINNNNNGGGG!!!!! With it I can make bows and arrows,spears ect. Broken glass is an unlimited supply of projectile points.

• Like 5

AR's for main rifle.  Would go full auto as parts present themselves while scavenging. 

M9 for pistol.

AK for backup rifle.

S-12 for combat/hunting shotgun.

10/22 for hunting.

Silenced air rifle for hunting/practice.

M203 flare launcher for illum, signaling, smoke, bird/riot control.   

(Flares, smoke, wildlife control, and tear gas can be legally used from a non-DD flare launcher.  Grenades, fleshettes, buckshot, beanbags, batons, rubber bullets are prohibited and require DD status to even possess with a flare launcher.)

Full auto is for military vs military.  In a survival situation every shot must count, and every shot must be necessary.

The survival situations where FA would be an advantage are situations that can be avoided, and should be avoided with great effort.

I'd probably take a 2 round burst if that was available.  In my experience for full auto rifles, the first 2 shots are on target.  Yes some very experienced shooters can keep FA on target but those same shooters would be just as lethal with semi-auto fire.

• Like 2

Seriously thinking about this, if the SHTF in my life, it's probably going to be at my house because either some nut my wife put away or family member of said nut followed her home, or a burglary attempt, or other criminal elements are trying to enter my home.  In any of those cases, the "go to gun" is an AK.  Followed by another AK....rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

I'd probably take a 2 round burst if that was available.  In my experience for full auto rifles, the first 2 shots are on target.  Yes some very experienced shooters can keep FA on target but those same shooters would be just as lethal with semi-auto fire.

I would put that on everything if I could.

Also people said about the same thing re: supressors. Once surpressors started getting common, they got better. I fully believe that if civilians had easy access to FA, it would rapidly become far more controllable. And has. See Kriss Vector. Swat teams aren't using FA subguns for suppressive fire...

SWAT teams use it, it must be great, right?  SWAT cops are not a great example of anything in my opinion.

Since SWAT teams are just as militarized as any military my previous statement stands.  Both SWAT teams and military have other guys to cover their ass when they're changing mags every 5 seconds, and a handy resupply when they run dry.

And certainly sub guns are controllable in FA but the conversation was about rifles.  But since you threw it out there, sub guns have a fraction of the power of a rifle.  That makes them far less effective than a rifle on a per round basis which is then made up by FA.  They're small, that's their advantage in certain circumstances.  Not enough of an advantage to make up for their drawbacks in most cases which is why soldiers are not issued smgs 99% of the time.

And the comparison of FA to suppressors is nonsense.  A suppressor does not make a firearm more difficult to control or waste valuable ammo.  Suppressors have huge advantages in a survival situation when calling attention to yourself is a bad idea.

• Like 2

Couple of things

The parameters of the OP's question come from the grab and run scenario, there is no time there is no choice you must go and NOW, and all that means. What aint ready at that moment don't get done and the moment comes like a thief in night... no warning. No other reason exists for the scenario. This is a size, weight, and firepower compromise with weight and size being paramount. 

Secondly if we could all buy select fire as easily as semi the semi would not exist. Forget all the stuff we tell ourselves due to the NFA and subsequent intolerable acts the things just never would have been made due to lack of demand. I mean who would pick a lesser weapon on purpose for exactly zero gain?

• Like 2

10995013_1541866466067746_1194112444_n.j

Toilet paper, bic lighters, tobacco, alcohol, spices & seasonings, hard candy, (anyone know longest shelf-life chocolate?) and COFFEE. Freeze-dried instant (meh, better than nothing) can keep for years if stored right. Un-roasted beans too. 

In answer to original OP scenario, Probably SGL31 & S&W 5906.

Edited by Hawk451
  • Like 3

Just found out about Zastava  M90NP. I believe I may have to get one of these, perfect companion to my M85NP.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-pap-m90np-5-56x45mm-rifle-with-ar15-magazine-adapter-detail.html?Itemid=0

AK reliability & durability with AR mag/ammo capability. It's annoying that the optics for my SGL31 probably won't work or be awkward with it, but RS Regulate is making a 307 mount for Yugo pattern now, though I'm leaning towards the TWS dogleg.

For a bug-out rifle, this would certainly be a better 'live off the land' choice for ammo & mags than the SGL31.  

I've had my doubts about the whole 'live off the land' thing for parts, mags & ammo. If you don't have it before TSHTF, don't count on getting it after the fertilizer has been spread.  But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time... 

Edited by Hawk451
  • Like 2

You certainly want enough to sustain yourself, but if you do find an ammo cache chances are good that it would have 5.56, 7.62x39-51, 9mm or .45acp. Also mags for AR15, AK47, Glocks and 1911s. Not so much 6.5 grendel, 6.8 spc, .300 blackout, etc. etc.

• Like 2

Just found out about Zastava  M90NP. I believe I may have to get one of these, perfect companion to my M85NP.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-pap-m90np-5-56x45mm-rifle-with-ar15-magazine-adapter-detail.html?Itemid=0

AK reliability & durability with AR mag/ammo capability. It's annoying that the optics for my SGL31 probably won't work or be awkward with it, but RS Regulate is making a 307 mount for Yugo pattern now, though I'm leaning towards the TWS dogleg.

For a bug-out rifle, this would certainly be a better 'live off the land' choice for ammo & mags than the SGL31.  

I've had my doubts about the whole 'live off the land' thing for parts, mags & ammo. If you don't have it before TSHTF, don't count on getting it after the fertilizer has been spread.  But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time...

Now y'all have me thinking ( Oh shit its a dim bulb, but it's on). I'll keep the marlin 60 and the XD9, will add the Tavor. Went on a hike a month ago with it and was very happy carrying it.

Hawk have you tried a Tavor?

• Like 2

M16/M4 FA parts should be in good supply when the fertilizer is spread.  How many military and police do you think will run with their weapons once the .gov money runs out?  How many armories/bases will get raided?  The big thing will be ammo.  But parts should be good.

Bunkering down and letting the fools kill themselves off is probably the best bet.

• Like 2

I hate the idea of limiting my options by having to bug out in haste.

Expect roadblocks on all the highways, searching for weapons and ambushes by thugs.

A larger coordinated group (ie, an armed neighborhood) relocating is safest.

You will have to think tactically. Key bridges and crossing points will be monitored.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

If only one rifle and side-arm was available, I'd have my Norinco 7.62 and the G17 as sidearm. With family involvement, probably toss an SKS on the wife and have her running the G22. Carrying bandoleers full of ammo for both rifles and toss a few cans of ammo in the car for just in case. Her family has a bit of land we would likely head to and try to hold down with water and animals available to hold out for a while. Good thing about this area is, once all the liberal supperiors died out from starvation and general not knowing a damn, it'd probably calm down quite a bit. Much less worry about receiving return-fire thanks to all those wonderful laws they've enacted over the years010.gif

• Like 1

The best SHTF rifle? the one I pry from your dead fingers after my tribe of cannibal outlaws raid your shit because you posted your location, all the SHTF weapons and supplies you have on hand and all the detail of you "prepping" over the last decade on internet forums.. and happened to make note of it when things were still good... Thanks for the re supply!  ;)

• Like 7

Don't forget a good blunt force weapon. A nice aluminum bat should fit the bill.

I like sharp force weapons better. I've an excellent machete that is useful for so many things. I do need to make a scabbard for it though.

• Like 2

Don't forget a good blunt force weapon. A nice aluminum bat should fit the bill.

I like sharp force weapons better. I've an excellent machete that is useful for so many things. I do need to make a scabbard for it though.

I like both. Ball bat, machete, 9 iron....