bullet guide f@ck up

so I started my conversion, things are going perfect, remove all internals, only the rear most rivet gives me a little issue

move on to bullet guide, line up punch, drill perfect hole, lines right up with guide, then I realize I used the 3/16" bit for rivet removal instead of the smaller bullet guide bit

what do you guys think, get 3/16" tap and larger diameter screw?

I believe 3/16 screws are obsolete and were replaced with 10-XX screws. The closest size which is a 10-32 screw requires a number 21 (.1590) drill bit which is way undersize since your hole is already at 3/16 (.1875). No screw in the 10-XX to 12-XX would work. 

365_48th%20Edition_Complete_Page_533_499

Your best bet would be to go up to a 1/4-20 machine screw which uses a #7 drill (.2010)

Another option is to use a metric screw with a drill size closest to your existing hole. 

Another option is to use a rivet inserted from the bottom of the trunnion and bucking plates to fill the space between the trunnion and the receiver. Then crush the rivet from the top.

Another not so good option is to weld the bullet guide in.

Im sure there are other options but this is what i can think of.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

so I started my conversion, things are going perfect, remove all internals, only the rear most rivet gives me a little issue

move on to bullet guide, line up punch, drill perfect hole, lines right up with guide, then I realize I used the 3/16" bit for rivet removal instead of the smaller bullet guide bit

what do you guys think, get 3/16" tap and larger diameter screw?

Keep your head-up! This stuff happens to all of us. You could use a 6MM tap, which is .014 of an inch smaller than a 6MM .236. Easier to find a 1/4/-20 screws than metric screws in most cases. You can grind down the head (from the hex hole side of the screw) on a socket head cap screw. Grind the top of the screw where you use the allen wrench to tighten the screw. Leave enough material to tighten the screw and the head thick enough to hold the guide in place. Not much pressure, just used as a loading ramp...

Drill hole to .201 are slightly larger to use 1/4 inch hardware.

Edited by machinist
  • Like 2

Just to add a different viewpoint, you may also want to consider eating the cost of taking it to a good gunsmith.

After the error, you're now out of the realm of the standard conversion and may want to reevaluate the risk/cost of having someone with experience take it from here.   I'm not suggesting that you aren't capable of handling this yourself, and if you pull it off you'll have a great feeling, but if something goes wrong you may wish you sought professional help.

Not speaking to your case specifically, but I'm always amazed that people are more than willing to put a $100 do-dad onto a rifle without blinking an eye but would screw up a gun with a dremel tool to save $50.00 on a gunsmith.  

Part of the fun of AKs is the fitting, filing, smoothing and improving, but it's also important to know your limitations.  Items that are easily replaced are one thing but if you screw up trunnions, receivers and barrels repairs will get insanely expensive quickly.

Again, I'm not saying that you definitely need to have a professional handle this but I wanted to suggest you consider it as an option.

• Like 1

To add to the above, yeah, you may just wanna cut a little piece of pipe for the bullet guide and have a gunsmith weld it in there instead. May cost a little more, but you have a little more security if its welded vs a red locktite screw, and the replacement piece would completely cover the hole you drilled.

but if you wanna fiddle around with different screws instead, that will probably work just as well.

• Like 1

took a ride over to travers (machine shop supplies) today, bit, tap, countersink, the head of the screw is pretty large that's why I bought the countersink bit to work on the guide, travers guys thought we should those countersink screws, measured the distance between edge of hole and edge of the guide, not much meat after we use the #6 drill, I don't have a drill press and I'm not feeling comfortable with using a hand drill, going to need a gunsmith, are there any on this site I can send the gun to?

Chris Butler of AK-USA  has a great reputation and I was very pleased with his work and customer service.

I'm not sure if he would be available to help but if he is then you can proceed with confidence knowing that you have a top builder working on your problem for you.

firepower@ak-103.com

• 2 weeks later...

chris installed an ak bullet guide

he doesn't agree with css design, warned against using a screw for this mod, said the location of the hole is also incorrect

I'm happy thanks guys

by the way he's a really nice guy and pleasure to work with

post-46575-0-71232600-1442283890_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike456
  • Like 2

Get a thredsert - this is a fixupthefuckup piece that is threaded on the inside and outside to give new threads to worn out or oversixed holes. Any good machinist supply or motorcycle mechanic will have what you need.