Bolt carrier hang on cocking (help!)

I just bought one of those RWC converted Saigas off of Classic. I got it in and looked it over and it cycled fine in the store (although the fsb was slightly canted, but not enough for me to worry). When I got home and began testing with the magazines and all that before cleaning, it started doing this hang as I pulled the carrier back. It's not the "catch on hammer" hang that I've been reading about, but it feels like the bolt itself is hanging in it's carrier. If you can imagine the typical hang before battery problem as seen here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHz2HtEjDaI, but going in the opposite direction, that's what I mean. It pulls back about a half inch and hangs (and refuses to budge). It's only intermittent. But it worries me enough not to fire the gun. I cleaned and greased the gun after that, but it still does it. 

Any idea? Should I send it back to Classic? 

Thanks for your help! I don't want to get stuck with an expensive paperweight : ( 

Is the chamber clear?  Could there be a broken chamber flag stub in the barrel getting in the way?

You can try taking out the bolt and carrier and looking for abnormal wear or excessive missing paint.

If you don't see anything obviously wrong, reassemble, pull back the charging handle and let it fly forward at full speed several times(don't ride it forward).

Does it still hang up?  Dissamble and look for new wear on the bolt, carrier, rails etc.

Feel free to post photos or videos here as this community is very knowledgeable and helpful but it's hard to give suggestions without seeing what's going on.

• Like 2

It would appear you babied the first round when releasing the bolt forward. On the second attempt you racked it back and let it fly, which is what you should do. I don't see a problem here. If the firearm has a Tapco G2 trigger installed, which is what I would expect from a Classic Saiga conversion, the bolt ride over the hammer can sometimes be severe. This can allow the bolt to hang on the hammer. If it does not go into full battery when you pull back and let it fly, I would profile to hammer until it does. Just my 2cents.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

It would appear you babied the first round when releasing the bolt forward. On the second attempt you racked it back and let it fly, which is what you should do. I don't see a problem here. If the firearm has a Tapco G2 trigger installed, which is what I would expect from a Classic Saiga conversion, the bolt ride over the hammer can sometimes be severe. This can allow the bolt to hang on the hammer. If it does not go into full battery when you pull back and let it fly, I would profile to hammer until it does. Just my 2cents.

That's not me in the video.

The bolt gets intermittently hung when pulling it back. Sometimes it flies freely, sometimes it just gets binded somehow about 1/2 inch back from the chamber face.It looks like most people have problems with the bolt sliding forward. My problem is when I'm pulling it back.

Edited by Luftwaffles
  • Like 1

Now I understand. Have you fired a mag through it? Does it cycle fine once it chambers a round and fires? Still think it is a hang up between the bolt carrier and hammer. With that being said I have had more than one firearm from Classic Arms needing work. I have stopped doing business with them after the second. I would send it back and let them fix it.

• Like 1

I agree, send the gun back and let them fix or replace. Locking while move the bolt carrier back might be uneven rails...Not positive that is the issue, I purchased a Saiga and one rail was installed incorrectly by the factory. This caused the bolt carrier to jam up when the carrier was pulled toward the rear of the gun by hand. If you have access to calipers or a friend who is a machinist ask them to take some measurements to verify the position is correct. Only my 2 cents

Now I understand. Have you fired a mag through it? Does it cycle fine once it chambers a round and fires? Still think it is a hang up between the bolt carrier and hammer. With that being said I have had more than one firearm from Classic Arms needing work. I have stopped doing business with them after the second. I would send it back and let them fix it.

Edited by machinist
  • Like 1

Strip it down and check for wear marks on the upper and lower rails and that the bolt rotates freely inside the carrier.

The bolt might be hanging up in the locking lugs just before it disengages.

All these things should go away after it's "broken in".

if you are getting hung up about 1/2" before complete close, look at the feed ramp or trunnion. does it have metal on metal rubbings? might need to polish the ramp. a bullet guide may be too thick for a smooth transition of the bolt carrier.

Edited by GregM1
  • Like 1