Ok, Im still on a budget, and the magazines I got from the guy who sold them to me seem a little less then desirable.  They rattle like crazy to be frank.  If you could buy some magazines for the 74 and were on a budget, what would you get?  I'm not super familiar with them, I do know AR mags and I have always enjoyed magpul magazines, but I don't seem to be able to find any in 5.45.  Also what do you guys know about CDNN distributing?  

Edited by reid17

Bulgarian, Russian, or Polish surplus are probably the best you can find.

The Bulgarian and Polish commercial mags don't look too bad, but most lack any metal reinforcements. The Polish mags are really cheap - around $15 - and every review I've read said they function 100%. Just no reinforcements. Apparently the Polish army thinks that's OK, since Polish military currently uses non-reinforced mags in the Beryl series, but I don't know that the commercial mags are made of the same material - the current issue Beryl mags are green translucent, these are not.

Tapco magazines are stupid looking but underrated in their durability IMO. If they would just stop with their ugly old "grip" pattern and make all of their mags like their slabsides, they would have a solid winner across the board.

Edited by mancat

I take it back, the commercial Polish 5.45 V-project mags do appear to be the same greenish material as the newer Beryl mil mags. They're probably tough enough for rough use, still not as good as steel reinforce. A couple posts on AKfiles show them surviving pushup and drop tests.

Edited by mancat

I took my tapco and pmags to the range today just to see if they would function correctly.  120 rounds and zero malfunctions of any kind. I was very pleasantly surprised.  The bushnell TRS25 red dot was also on the money. Crisp and clean.  made a huge difference on my old eyes.

East German VEB bakelite magazines were the most reliable ones I have ever found. They seem to be hard to find for some reason. They were easy to get back when the caliber was a ghost. early to mid 90's......

The more you used them, the better they got. There is a burned orange bulgarian that is a darker color that works pretty good too but the ugly orange german mags are bomb proof and wore in nice. You can always gaffer tape them to hide the hunter orange sheen it gives of in the field.

• Like 1