Labor Day weekend! What's going on the grill?

So with Labor Day weekend about to start, I'm going to spend some time on the grill. I've had a string of crappy propane grills that last two years than crap out ( I could fix, but the parts run about half of a new crappy grill)

I've got the weber kettle, and having never cooked with lump charcoal before it is thoroughly kicking my ass all summer so just to spite it I'm going to learn to use it.

Anyways, back to the point. What's everybody cooking this weekend? I'm doing all new things. Im looking to brine some chicken breasts (I cruise a cooking forum and this is evidently a great way to make juicy chicken) I also bought one of those stupid stuff your own burger presses along time ago. Not sure what to stuff it with but bacon will be involved. Lastly I've stocked up on pork tenderloin so I want to try one on the grill. Usually I chop, pound and deep fry it but awhile back I had some upscale lunchmeat that had a pineapple chipotle glaze. Pretty good. I'm going to try to apply it here. ( well, actually I'm not that brave, ill chop it in half and make the other half the other way.)

I know we've got some grilles here. What do y'all have planned?

• Like 5

Looking forward to a great weekend here too. My Dad brought me an almost 9 lb bone in pork shoulder picnic for my BDay last week so I'll be smoking that badboy all day today while my best grillin' buddy and I have some good times here on the range. I'm putting a killer dry rub on it right now actually...  I'll also be smoking a fresh picked batch of red and yellow Habanero peppers to use in a kickass batch of hot sauce I'l be bottling next week. Hit me up if you want to try some!

Also planning to grill out Sunday and eat some fresh bacon wrapped doves from Saturday's opening day hunt!

By the way if you have a Lowes or Home Depot nearby you may want to check and see if they are running the same sale on Kingsford charcoal that our local stores are. I just picked up ten 18.6 lb bags yesterday at HD for only $49.40! Great savings! My friend who works at Lowes says they also have the 20 lb bags on sale for around the same price! I know as much as we grill out around here I will be stocking up! One buddy of mine said he does so every year and has 30 bags sitting in his garage now lol.

Happy grillin' n swillin' y'all!  Post some pics!!    greedy.gif

beer.gif

post-1293-0-50356100-1441376599_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-23835100-1441376607_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The wife just came home with a couple fillet mignon's and some fresh local corn on the cob.

We've got our 28th wedding anniversary this Sunday so there might be some Alaskan King Crab legs in my future as well.

Have a safe and joyous holiday weekend everyone!

• Like 6

(3) Porterhouses, (2) Filets, and (6) corn on the cob in the husks went on the grill tonight, along with roasted potatoes and the wife's slow cooked green beans. Start of college football season and good times with family!

I'm going Sharking tomorrow, the goal is a big Blacktip for steaks on the BBQ Monday.

Good luck Chile. Hope they are biting on what you are offering my friend!

• Like 4

No shark for the BBQ scorn.gif

G'thing the in-laws have a back up plan, they called to say they've some really thick sirloins and would I be willing to cook. big_smile.gif

Monday may be a range day if the weather cooperates.022.gif

• Like 2

Diggin that shaggin wagon in the background there, Cobra!

We had a similar Vandura years back that ran great with several hundred thousand miles on the odometer.

Thanks it's been a real good one! About the same model used in The A-Team.  '78 C-10 with a 350 crate motor upgrade & HD suspension / towing package. Great for hauling about anything & hauling ass too...lol. Oh and of course ...  f0ckers.gif    grimace.gif

• Like 3

Fatty, the lump charcoal burns quite a bit hotter than the briquettes will, so go conservative when using it. A little goes a long way. I use one of the little weber chimneys when im using briquettes. It will get the charcoal going nice and even.

Charcoal takes some patience, but everything tastes so much better using it.

Try throwing on a handful of soaked (in water) hickory chips for some added flavor if you dig hickory. Applewood goes great with pork.

No gasser will ever duplicate the flavor of charcoal.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• Like 2