Anyone else into NEF/H&R Handi Rifles?

At the moment, I only have two. One SB2 in 45/70 that I paid $175 NID back in ,'08, and one SB1 muzzelloader in .58 that I have had since the 70's.

I am hunting up others that they made over the years..

It's a shame they shut down for good in April.  I snoozed too long on their accessory barrel program.

On my wish list of guns or barrels are.

7x57 Mauser

7.62x39

.300 AAC BLKOUT

.500 S&W

.308 Survivor

45/70 Buffalo Classic

.44 Mag Talo Trapper

I also want to get a 20ga and have it sleeved for 50/70 Gov't.  I love that round!

Anyone else been bitten by the bug?

Macbeau...

Edited by macbeau

I like the shotgun versions. I have yet to shoot the rifles, but I never hear anything bad about them other than the basic limitations of break action.

oh and a friend from here uses one as a suppressor host. He's customed at least one barrel for it too.

• Like 1

My brother has one of the shotguns in 20 gauge.. I have a braztech in 20 gauge that is also pretty decent, gritty compared to the H&R.. 

Great hunting guns, they weigh practically nothing and point really well. I reload 1 ounce hunting loads for them, those are a little stout, but beats carrying a 12 gauge pump up steep hills.

• Like 1

I find the rifles are great for playing around with an new or unfamiliar cartridge without spending a whole lot on a more sophisticated platform.  .300 Blackout and .500 S&W in particular.  I would probably have never gotten seriously into 45/70 without having owned and played with the handi first.  They are good strong actions (60,000 CUP) and barrels are really well made.  You just have to know the rifling twist so you can use the right bullet weight range.

As a hunting are, I LOVE them.  My 45/70 weights in right at 7 lbs WITH a fixed 4X scope, sling and hammer extension.  It loves the Remington 405 JSP's but I also handload 500gn LEE cast bullets that it likes too.

Macbeau...

A wood stocked lightweigh tH&R/ NEF in 12GA is great to keep around for those "he-men" who like to show how tough they are. "Recoil doesn't bother me!" Oh yeah? Cool Try this! ...and hand it to him loaded with a 3 1/2" turkey load. I'll bet he cries like a little bitch.

Mine only has a 3" chamber, but you can get them in 10 gauge too. Actually, they are probably the most common 10 gauges around. I've fired it without a recoil pad with full house 3" 1700 FPS slugs. It was manageable, but I wouldn't call it pleasant. Despite proper shooting posture, I did have a green stock shaped mark in my shoulder area for a week or two. Rather several marks... 

I've been meaning to use it to practice bluing and fit a Kick-Eez for a while, but getting a round tuit can be tricky.

• Like 1

Imagine that as an SBS! OW!

I have a shorty Baikal w/18.5" barrels and a pistol grip. It'll bite you if you try to stiff-arm it.

Ride the recoil and you can JUST manage it with full house 3" loads.

I shoot it w/110gr 1F black an 1 1/8 oz shot. VERY nice fireball and LOUD!!

Edited by patriot