Anyone encounter this too with the Saiga 12 BHO?

Shannon (Cobras Customs) shortens them just a little bit and smooths them out.
It feels better on bare skin, but it also makes it a little tougher to activate if you're wearing gloves.

You should be able to shorten/smooth it to your liking with a file and sandpaper and a dremel.

• Like 2

If you have gone through any of the conversion guides here, pretty much all of them say to shorten that for this reason. I definitely find it unpleasant if it is not trimmed and properly deburred.

I was talking about keeping the BHO, shortening it, and improving the safety. It was a counterpoint to the previous post.

The guy above me is afraid of his BHO and confused by it, so he took it out and uses a safety with a notch in it to hold his bolt open. That safety also has a convenient shelf in it so that you can more easily operate it without breaking firing grip. Like this one: 

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1114-safety-mod/

• Like 2

I was talking about keeping the BHO, shortening it, and improving the safety. It was a counterpoint to the previous post.

The guy above me is afraid of his BHO and confused by it, so he took it out

Far from afraid of or confused by it, let's not make assumptions here. I actually never had a major problem with mine functioning, except one time it went to far into the receiver and I was barely able to weasel it back down with a dental pick. I did all the mods so it stayed working, almost 100% reliably while I had it in use. It's just a huge pain in the ass to install, which I did a handful of times while changing my S12 around over the years. It has a potential (even notched and with the spring legs bent over) for severely locking up the BCG. It's extra parts in an extremely simple, semi auto design, that doesn't do anything better then Krebs safety does. K.I.S.S. My opinion is it's a POS. It's not confusing, it's just out of place in the design.

Edited by Mullet Man

The guy above me is afraid of his BHO and confused by it, so he took it out

Far from afraid of or confused by it, let's not make assumptions here. I actually never had a major problem with mine functioning, except one time it went to far into the receiver and I was barely able to weasel it back down with a dental pick. I did all the mods so it stayed working, almost 100% reliably while I had it in use. It's just a huge pain in the ass to install, which I did a handful of times while changing my S12 around over the years. It has a potential (even notched and with the spring legs bent over) for severely locking up the BCG. It's extra parts in an extremely simple, semi auto design, that doesn't do anything better then Krebs safety does. K.I.S.S. My opinion is it's a POS. It's not confusing, it's just out of place in the design.

This jam thing happend to me two times in a row after I put in the Krebs but before I modified it. Mine already had the BHO spring notch and bent hammer springs! I opened the S-12 up, took the krebbs out and swung the BHO up above the receiver. Then I Dremeled the the top prong of the BHO to put a bit of a bevel on it to make it more likely to deflect under/into the rail rather than outward and past the rail ( which seems to be how the jam happens, the BHO bypasses the rail and goes up WAY too far ). So far so good, then I went ahead with the Krebbs mods.

Like others I had previously re-profiled the BHO "button" to clear my trigger finger a bit more.

Reprofiling the BHO makes the most sense and to me was the easiest. I did mine as was explained several times here. I pushed the tab up until it stopped at it's most upper level. I scribed a line using the receiver. I masked the hell out of the receiver and above the scribed line. I cut a few frog's hairs below the scribed line so that the tab would always be below the receiver, this way there was no chance it could get pushed back up into the receiver. I cleaned up the cut and rounded the corners. Touched mine up with some cold blue. Pulling the bolt back now lets the ring (or middle) finger place itself right onto the cut BHO tab and feels as natural as it can be. I've done this to both of mine and wonder why it wasn't part of the original build. Oh yeah, sense of accomplishment. Thanks, Ishmash. 

• Like 1