I've been using Crisco as BP lube, case lube, and bullet lube for dec

Hmmm never thought of that. 

Would be shy of putting it in long term storage but hey it is pretty cheap and common in a pinch.

I learned that from an old school gunsmith, long deceased, rest his soul. When I was a kid he taught me a lot about shooting, firearms and reloading. It seems vegetable oil and shortening don't break down the gunpowder like petroleum based lubricants.

• Like 1

I used Crisco lard in the bearings of my BMX bike as a kid but that thing would get torn down about once or twice a month or inspection and cleaning. It worked great, was cheap (thanks mom) and removed easy with a little gas. I would never thing of using vegetable oil, especially since it becomes rancid, on a weapon. You may think you can clean that shit off but how often do you tear it down to nothing? When you shoot your weapon, that shit gets thrown around and finds itself in the strangest of places.

Want to try something fun on your AK? Mercedes makes a special copper infused paste that looks like gold that is applied to the brake pads of the car to keep them from squeaking. Put it on the contact points of your weapon and have fun. You can instantly notice the increased speed of the action and it comes off clean with other pollutants and doesn't let your metal wear down. It looks like antiseize you can get here but it's not even close to the mercedes stuff. I think its made by FEBI. MB oem part # a 001 989 87 51

• Like 1

Followed up on the use Crisco and such as case lub and found the vid on using liquid lanolin and 99% alcohol in a spray bottle to do the job. Now that looks like a real winner if it solves the 308 sizing issue, yeah I run into that more than a few times. Wouldnt have found it otherwise so thanks for getting me looking.

snip

Want to try something fun on your AK? Mercedes makes a special copper infused paste that looks like gold that is applied to the brake pads of the car to keep them from squeaking. Put it on the contact points of your weapon and have fun. You can instantly notice the increased speed of the action and it comes off clean with other pollutants and doesn't let your metal wear down. It looks like antiseize you can get here but it's not even close to the mercedes stuff. I think its made by FEBI. MB oem part # a 001 989 87 51

Verrryyy interesting

Adherence to metal would be high, heat tolerance high, friction very low, who knew cars and guns would have so much in common... heh every tool guy on earth :)

After break-in seems like an excellent idea to try out, yet another thing Germans do well.

Thanks man

When I was shooting N-SSA, there were two schools of thought for bullet lubes and bore cleaning.  Petroleum based (parafin, vasoline, Hoppes, Ballistol, etc) or water soluble.  Since I pulled cartridges with my teeth, I went with water based lube and cleaner.  My minie ball lube is a mix of hydrogenated lard (shelf stable stuff from Walmart) and beeswax.  My bore cleaner is Thompson Center #13, which is a water based solvent.  (Also works great for cleaning after corrosive ammo.).

Crisco is a vegetable base shorting.  When I was developing my lube formula, I found it left a nasty crust on the breech face which could hold and stoke an ember (bad juju).  .In addition to muzzle loading, I use the lard/beeswax lube now for cast bullets (45/70, .38/.357, .44, etc).  Pretty good stuff.

• Like 1

Wow $40 for that. 

Makes my $4 a quart motor oil lube regimen look like genius now. Heh wont be cooking with it for sure. Am taking a close look at the German stuff now.

When I was shooting N-SSA, there were two schools of thought for bullet lubes and bore cleaning.  Petroleum based (parafin, vasoline, Hoppes, Ballistol, etc) or water soluble.  Since I pulled cartridges with my teeth, I went with water based lube and cleaner.  My minie ball lube is a mix of hydrogenated lard (shelf stable stuff from Walmart) and beeswax.  My bore cleaner is Thompson Center #13, which is a water based solvent.  (Also works great for cleaning after corrosive ammo.).

Crisco is a vegetable base shorting.  When I was developing my lube formula, I found it left a nasty crust on the breech face which could hold and stoke an ember (bad juju).  .In addition to muzzle loading, I use the lard/beeswax lube now for cast bullets (45/70, .38/.357, .44, etc).  Pretty good stuff.

That goes well with I can find out also, leaves a nasty residue that just makes me go hmmm... why do it?

Not that AKs need much care but I do love a smooth action. Smooth is fast smooth is reliable.