My ex brother in law did a tour as a reserve Navel reserve Officer on board the USS Long Beach.  He said bridge duty in a sea way was barf time.  The ship had a stability problem in certain conditions?  Rolled badly.  Can somebody confirm this please?

LB had the tallest bridge in the USN, on a type of ship that likes to roll, so I would assume it would be roll city up there.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

You guys do not know what roll is, try riding a deisel sub on the surface during a storm! It not only rolls it does figure 8's - all newbies are pukes, literally!

I've been on rawsons which must be similar, due to round chine.

Also towed across the gulf of alaska in an unpowered small craft. Being towed in a boat in rough seas is the benchmark for miserable. The boat can't ride out the seas in a natural way because the tow, makes it get yanked into impact with waves it would normally float over..Lurch surge, surf, smack, jolt, TWAANG, punch, lurch. Repeat for 14 days. (While you have the flu and no heat.)

Have rode a few of the container ships I work on to Alaska in the fall/winter, I enjoy the ride. First time I wasn't aware I was in for and woke up in the middle of the night as I was being thrown over the guard rail on the side of my bed.

A couple of trips after I got off one of them, they hit a wave that brought them from around 15kt to 0 immediately, had several injuries on board, lost a lot of stuff that was thought to be secured, buckled part of the hull above the bulbous bow, and knocked several containers over the side near the bow. That's a ~750ft fully loaded ship stopped dead in its tracks by a wave.

• Like 2

That's a serious wave. Sounds similar to hitting a chunk of ice with a small boat, or a sand bar when you are on-step. I am glad I wasn't there.

The roughest for me was my first year. We finished out the season in Ugashik which is a place oreinted such that storms in the Bering sea tend get funneled in and magnified. it was constant 16-19' seas for a couple weeks. In a 32' boat that means you get really coordinated at eating your cereal, and you develop the strange ability to sleep while doing a pushup against the ceiling above your bunk. (the alternative is ricocheting between them until you fall out.) We made a lot of money because we fished where others couldn't.

• Like 1

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/07/us-usa-navy-railgun-idUSBREA361QF20140407

"The 2016 sea trials will be conducted aboard the joint forces high-speed cargo ship because it has the space to carry the system on its deck and in its cargo bay. Officials said they would begin looking at integrating the system into warships after 2018."

That's a serious wave. Sounds similar to hitting a chunk of ice with a small boat, or a sand bar when you are on-step. I am glad I wasn't there.

The roughest for me was my first year. We finished out the season in Ugashik which is a place oreinted such that storms in the Bering sea tend get funneled in and magnified. it was constant 16-19' seas for a couple weeks. In a 32' boat that means you get really coordinated at eating your cereal, and you develop the strange ability to sleep while doing a pushup against the ceiling above your bunk. (the alternative is ricocheting between them until you fall out.) We made a lot of money because we fished where others couldn't.

never been in anything like that on a boat that small.. sounds nasty.

the whole railgun concept is also cool in that I would bet it really boosts the survivability of the ship, once propellant stores can be eliminated..

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...