Anyone else make homemade sausage?

post-2952-0-45815600-1442433106.jpg

This is one of those food items from up in Northern MI. Seems to be similar to the Finnish or Norwegian Potato sausages, but uses more potatoes.

So this is from the batch of Potato sausage we made back a few days ago.. We make it in fall to clean out the meat from the freezer to make room for the holiday sale meats. My Father and brother had to make a run to MI for a machine so we ended up with our cheap Potatoes a little early.

The meats used are pork, beef, deer ect.

The above batch is about 50/50 potatoes to meat by weight.. Exact ratio was 10 lbs beef 10 lbs pork 5 lbs deer, 5 lbs onions, 25 lbs potatoes.. Some salt and pepper.

Yeild was right around 49 lbs as the onions and meat cook off.

The whole mix is course ground and then sent back through the grinder to stuff into sausage casings. Once stuffed, it is low boiled for 10 minutes at which point it can be frozen to save or baked for 30 minutes to eat.

This is not one of those sausages that you would put on a bun to eat. It is just eaten as it is, works well for breakfast.

So what types have you made?

• Like 1

It has a very unique flavor, mostly due to the lack of spicing.. Most sausage is pretty heavily spiced to the point that you don't really register the ingredients. 

I have heard that it is very good made with just deer, just need to add fat from a different source as deer fat is normally super nasty tasting.. I may try this if hunting season goes well.

Finnish food is interesting. 

For the most part the food is astoundingly bland, a few items stand out, they are hard to replicate, as most are made with a type of potato that grows in that climate.. The Potatoes have a very buttery texture and taste that makes most of their meals more appealing, hard to find them in the states outside of MN, WI. Most Finnish dishes are nasty if made with normal potatoes, the sausage is pretty much fine either way.

• Like 1

I'm sure our good buddy Gaddis will be more than happy to show you sausage!

Put it on two slices of cinnamon swirl toast with an egg on it first and then hand it to Ms. Rousey. :up:

Of course, (with all the anabolic steroids), her sausage might be longer than mine now. :wacko: