please tell me if this is bad....

I am not sure if that's discoloration or rust. But this saiga 12 is my favorite firearm I will and can possibly ever own seeing as how it is BANNED... Id like to make is last as long as possible hopefully lifetime.. If it's rust I'd like to fix ASAP

Anybody else's chamber/bore area have that kind of discoloration or do I have a bad rust issue here??!!! Advice please!!

post-37314-0-27637400-1442474461_thumb.jpg

Edited by Avtomatkalashnikov

It's definitely not just wipeing off.

Although it may just be surface rust and I might be overeacting I'd wonder what what a another saiga 12 or veprs 12s chamber/bore looks like compared to my own.

Upon closer inspection it is also in this saigas upper gas tube at the front base as well as all around 360 degrees at the rear of the front trunnion even underneath the barrel. I'm going to find a brass brush like toothbrush sized one asap... I lightly scratched the main affected area shown in the picture and its shiny underneath so at least it's very light surface rust but I prefer NO RUST... I've heard of you paint over rust or coat oil or anything over rust as long as its there it will continue to eat the rust I just want it gone and to take whatever is the best coarse of protective action to prevent further damage and oxidization

Edited by Avtomatkalashnikov

If your location is correct under your avatar, then I have to believe it is atmospheric and excessive humidity. Keep it oiled up and use some sort of desiccant where you store it. I just use Damp rid in my safe.

It is unlikely you will get an accurate comparison between ours and yours if you are in the middle of a Central American rainforest.

• Like 3

No. I don't really live at lake titty ca ca in Nicaragua lol. I live in OK next to Texas where its mostly dry and hot all year. It has been humid and rained frequently alot earlier this year though. So idk what to do still. It's all covered in oil. Like I said I'm getting a brass brush today from somewhere.....

No. I don't really live at lake titty ca ca in Nicaragua lol. I live in OK next to Texas where its mostly dry and hot all year. It has been humid and rained frequently alot earlier this year though. So idk what to do still. It's all covered in oil. Like I said I'm getting a brass brush today from somewhere.....

I figured that might be the case. :)

It still looks like flash rust, which means you have a moisture problem or ineffective rp application. Lake Titicaca or OK, get some desiccant in wherever you store it.

• Like 1

Anyone ever used Muriatic Acid on iron oxide? Flash-rust disappears on contact.

There is a version that you can pick up from the hardware store that doesn't burn skin.

It's my new "go to" for rusty tools, etc.

Edited by Sim_Player

I have a "Cozy Legs" flat panel electric heater in my safe wired up to a timer so it kicks on/off several times a day.

Probably way overkill and costs me a few bucks a month on my electric bill, but so what.

Safe is always very warm, and no rust at all on anything.

Get the accessory power switch that cuts it back from 150W to 75W unless you want to bake brownies in the safe too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Products-CL-Panel-Heater/dp/B00FRFFC4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443154251&sr=8-1&keywords=cozy+legs

I have a "Cozy Legs" flat panel electric heater in my safe wired up to a timer so it kicks on/off several times a day.

Probably way overkill and costs me a few bucks a month on my electric bill, but so what.

Safe is always very warm, and no rust at all on anything.

Get the accessory power switch that cuts it back from 150W to 75W unless you want to bake brownies in the safe too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Products-CL-Panel-Heater/dp/B00FRFFC4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443154251&sr=8-1&keywords=cozy+legs

I am heating my 1000 sqft. home with three 2x2 panel heaters and one fan-driven Cadet wall heater (it rarely turns on).

Last winter (at 20 deg. outside) the house was cozy (70 deg.) and quiet!

I still want a wood stove!

Edited by Sim_Player