Dust cover latch safety needed?

If I'm not mistaken, it was originally developed for rifles equipped with grenade launchers after top covers started flying off when launching them.
I'm guessing that Izhmash probably had the same thing happening when they were developing the S12 due to the increased recoil of the 12 gauge.  Adding it is an extra step that costs money, so I don't think they would include it if it wasn't needed.

It's really not hard to manage once you're used to it and will become second nature once you've taken it apart enough times for cleaning.

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken, it was originally developed for rifles equipped with grenade launchers after top covers started flying off when launching them.

I'm guessing that Izhmash probably had the same thing happening when they were developing the S12 due to the increased recoil of the 12 gauge.  Adding it is an extra step that costs money, so I don't think they would include it if it wasn't needed.

It's really not hard to manage once you're used to it and will become second nature once you've taken it apart enough times for cleaning.

Yeah I don't see that as mechanically valid given the forces and thier vectors.

Either way I can put a slant on the front of the button that will make it easier and not compromise thier alleged reasons.

Thanks for the input guys!

I would assume it's something you would want. Last thing you want when your hunting or something of that nature is the dust cover flying off into your face when fireing. I went dove hunting earlier this week and as soon as I started fireing my magazine fell out after the second shot. Great way to ruin the moment realizing your magazine latch is so dogged on it cannot secure to your gun during fireing....

This.

I seem to recall that some of the early imports didn't have them, and occasionally would have the dust covers pop off. It does seem like an easier solution would have been just to make the square portion a little longer, and skip the button.

I'm fitting-up the CSS no-tang receiver block tonight ( generously acquired for me by Heartbreaker ) and when that's done I'll put a small bevel on the front of that latch button. IF the dustcover were to slide backwards it would slam into the unaltered front of the button, but the bevel will allow the button to pass into the dustcover when the button is not quite all the way down, thus easing the effort required to push the button down while pressing the latch forward.

I'm still not seeing what force blows the dust cover off while the latch is held rearward by recoil and spring tension on the spring mount/latch.

Inertia blows the cover off (a body in motion...)  The dust cover is in motion to the rear, and is only held in the front by a shallow recess. I have had to tweek the back of the dust cover to keep it from coming out at the front. It's just shet metal and can get bent. You may have too much tension keeping the button from being pushed in. Better tight than poping off.