Sounds expensive.

Lighter gear makes a lot of sense to me. Those packs are huge. our guys must be exhausted all the time and big slow targets any time they are moving. At least they have quick releases on the straps.

I like the notion of plastic casings, but the examples I have seen of plastic cased high pressure rifle rounds have not been something I would trust yet. I mean trust to be even basically safe. Who knows how bad they could be in a hot chamber of an FA weapon...

As for camo, on guns. Duh. But just let the units bring a long a few cases of spray paint to match each local area. it will be nearly as good, and you won't have a stupid logistics problem every time you move your base a few miles into different terrain.  Oh noes. we're in woods this week and we brought our light tan desert guns. Order the woods cammo guns from the armorers. vs. Hey guys, now that we are set up, mask off your optics and pass around these two spraypaint cans. Pvt jimbob here has a cardboard stencil. 

I keep thinking that the mobility thing could be greatly improved with a bunch of simplified low CC dirt bikes with really good mufflers and insulation around the engine to minimise the heat signature. But I am not a soldier or an expert, so what do I know.

Oh, and I like that they are tacitly admitting that a ~$2000 railed 1911 is a silly thing for a modern military branch to have adopted. I knew that couldn't last long. They could just buy a bunch of .40 or .45 plastic handguns of any brand and be better served, with 2/3 the weight and double the ammo capacity. They could all have tall sights, rails and threaded barrels and therefore would be as modular as one could wish. May as well mill in a place for a red dot from the start too. $500 each. That would mean that they could replace them 3 times and still be ahead of the Marsoc .45 colts.

Looks like someone else had the same idea, and it didn't need a multi million dollar program to come up with a viable option:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/02/19/marines-allow-operators-to-choose-glocks-over-marsoc-45.html

Edited by GunFun

This is my rifle.  There are many like it but this one has a cool rattle can paint job and a nifty suppressor...

My rifle and EO Tech optic are the coolest thing on the battle field.

I must maintain my high speed gear and shoot more expensive ammo than the enemy who just doesn't know what TactiCOOL really is.....

And so on and so forth...

• Like 2

I am for the KISS principle, but I do remember the damn white t-shirts we HAD to wear all the time, when the Army was long past using them and switched to OD t-shirts.  So, I do believe that some updates are good, but KISS has to apply. 

There is a reason why equipment inspections are standardized...too much customization is not good.  Learn how to use what you have first, BECOME COMPLETELY PROFICIENT WITH IT, then start to think about high speed gear. 

Just my opinion.....

• Like 1

Instead of spray paint, how about plasti-dip. Sprays on and you can peel it off. No need to worry about building up layers of paint. Just peel off the old and apply the new.

That works with smooth contours, and is clever thinking, but good luck  getting it to peel with vented rails, etc.

Camo tape would be best

hunters been using it for years and years

I agree.  Playing paintball in mixed terrain, the guys with ANY generation of military camo tended to stand out more than people who just showed up in street clothes. But a $3 bark pattern real tree type long sleeved T from walmart and similar cloth tape to wrap the gear+ flat grey carhart pants tended to do better than any of it in almost any terrain. From building foundations, to woods, to deserts. Camo is kinda easy to get right if you just look around and don't have to approve your choices by a committee. Keep it simple, greys an dull browns go with urban, woods, and everything. Tree bark texture almost never looks out of place against any background.

Brass Fetcher has done some interesting videos about what gear shows IR glare to NV equipment. That was kind of fascinating, and if I was a soldier I would care about that a lot. Shirts and packs of the same military designation made in different lots could blend in, or glow like a roadsign in headlights. There were sprays which could help with this. 

I personally spent a lot of time humping up one mountain down again with my trusty ALICE pack.  Yes we carried a lot of extra crap.  I was a SMAW gunner.  I carried the l smaw (roughly 12 pounds) two rockets (18 pounds each) my M16A2 with 180 rounds, and my M9 with 3 magazines.  That was just the weapons.  Light infantry we were not.

Yeah... I did my time humping 100lbs of light-weight  gear around too.  I was the radio guy.  Lottsa Batteries, spare radios (HF, VHF, UHF) DMDG, crypto, antennas, etc.... on top of cross loaded weapons & ammo/demo.  Somewhere in there we managed to squeeze in a field stripped MRE or two and a few splashes of water.

Ounces lead to pounds.

Pounds lead to pain.

• Like 2

Haha Mac, you were the guy I avoided like the plague.  Always running around with a little antenna waving over your head.  I looked like a bad version of Bobba Fett with two rockets strapped to my back.  I dreaded the call..."SMAW UP!"  The only guys who carried more shit then the 0351s were the Morters...God those guys humped some shit.

Yeah... I did my time humping 100lbs of light-weight  gear around too.  I was the radio guy.  Lottsa Batteries, spare radios (HF, VHF, UHF) DMDG, crypto, antennas, etc.... on top of cross loaded weapons & ammo/demo.  Somewhere in there we managed to squeeze in a field stripped MRE or two and a few splashes of water.

Ounces lead to pounds.

Pounds lead to pain.

Pain is weakness leaving the body?

Here is my formula for pain.  New guy to the unit shows up for the 20+ mile hump wearing brand new jungle boots. I remember him sitting on the side of the hill with a angry Corpsman trying to get his now less the new boots off while blood leaked out of the side eyelets.  Man, you know that had to hurt something fierce.  

• Like 1

Camo tape would be best

I agree. Playing paintball in mixed terrain, the guys with ANY generation of military camo tended to stand out more than people who just showed up in street clothes. But a $3 bark pattern real tree type long sleeved T from walmart and similar cloth tape to wrap the gear+ flat grey carhart pants tended to do better than any of it in almost any terrain. From building foundations, to woods, to deserts. Camo is kinda easy to get right if you just look around and don't have to approve your choices by a committee. Keep it simple, greys an dull browns go with urban, woods, and everything. Tree bark texture almost never looks out of place against any background.

Brass Fetcher has done some interesting videos about what gear shows IR glare to NV equipment. That was kind of fascinating, and if I was a soldier I would care about that a lot. Shirts and packs of the same military designation made in different lots could blend in, or glow like a roadsign in headlights. There were sprays which could help with this.

Link?

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Infrared%20Imaging/Infrared%20Imaging.html

• Like 1

We used to ride observed trials motorcycles years ago and some of them with the good low end power muffler could literally sneak up on you.  Also a rather short learning curve on how to ride such a small light bike nearly anywhere.  This would be a cheap way to test.  Just have some GI guys bring in their trials bikes (motorcycles) and let the riders in the group practice a bit riding slow easy and stealthy.  This might work quite well.  Then have half a dozen types of very thin light weight cammo sheets for different local conditions.  Just me.

• Like 1

Camo tape would be best

I agree. Playing paintball in mixed terrain, the guys with ANY generation of military camo tended to stand out more than people who just showed up in street clothes. But a $3 bark pattern real tree type long sleeved T from walmart and similar cloth tape to wrap the gear+ flat grey carhart pants tended to do better than any of it in almost any terrain. From building foundations, to woods, to deserts. Camo is kinda easy to get right if you just look around and don't have to approve your choices by a committee. Keep it simple, greys an dull browns go with urban, woods, and everything. Tree bark texture almost never looks out of place against any background.

Link?

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Infrared%20Imaging/Infrared%20Imaging.html

You had it right. That's thermal, and looks like part of what I remember. I do recall seeing a video where he used normal NV, but I could be mistaken. I was thinking that some of them seemed reflective to the NV, and were brighter than the foliage, even though under daylight cameras they matched.