How does a person find an investor?

So I have an idea for a gun related product (non AR/AK/Saiga) but I do not have the ability to finish the 3D CAD files which I started over 4-5 months ago, this is because of the limitation of the sw and my limitation (self taught) that I am using from Emachineshop I am very close to the finish. I need an engineer with more experience then myself to bring this into specs. then of course funds to put the product out...

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

You personally want to produce, market and distribute it?

Or just sell the patent/idea to someone?

A very well planned business model, collateral and start looking for a small business loan.

Partner or contract with someone who can manufacture, you market & distribute, share profits.

Edited by ChileRelleno

You personally want to produce, market and distribute it?

Or just sell the patent/idea to someone?

A very well planned business model, collateral and start looking for a small business loan.

Partner or contract with someone who can manufacture, you market & distribute, share profits.

Thanks for the reply, as stated I need capital to be able to contract a designer, then patent, the sell, market? it will sell itself..

The first thing you have to ask yourself is "Is my idea worth at least $11M in retail sales within the next 18 months?". If not, then you are wasting your time and money getting a patent on it. Everyone talks about their "Million dollar idea", but it takes WAY more money than that to design, market, and distribute a successful product. Assuming your product is successful, then you had better have REALLY deep pockets to fend off all the patent lawsuits that are surely to come. Also remember that you have to file the patent not only in the US but outside the US as well (this is where it gets really, really tricky). If you have not already done an exhaustive patent search, STOP. There is a very high likelihood that anything you make could infringe on an existing patent and all your hard work could end up being totally worthless. Knowing what has been patented, what is already in the public domain, and being able to carefully craft the wording and design of your product to legally get around both of those is the key to having a sellable idea.   

If you do have a great idea, your best bet is to get it out to the market yourself (mortgage your house, max out your credit cards, borrow money from family, etc.). If you have not done absolutely everything you can to fund this yourself (or shown that you have spent thousands of hours coming up with something tangible no-else could come up with), why should anyone risk their $$ if you have not already risked yours? If you have the best thing since sliced bread, investors will be coming to you to help you ramp up production. Before you show it to the world, just make sure you have a correctly filled out provisional patent application just to give you that year buffer even if you don't plan to file for the formal patent.

Finally, I don't care how good your idea is if you don't have a finished and tested prototype. If you come to me with just an idea that you want me to fund, as an Angel Investor I am going to ask for FAR more of your company that you would ever view as reasonable (you would absolutely be the minority investor in the company).   

Funny enough, this EXACT topic was covered in the 9-11-15 Dilbert comic strip ;-)  To quote Alice: "I believe the economic term for what you have is "Nothing" :.    

• Like 1

The first thing you have to ask yourself is "Is my idea worth at least $11M in retail sales within the next 18 months?". If not, then you are wasting your time and money getting a patent on it. Everyone talks about their "Million dollar idea", but it takes WAY more money than that to design, market, and distribute a successful product. Assuming your product is successful, then you had better have REALLY deep pockets to fend off all the patent lawsuits that are surely to come. Also remember that you have to file the patent not only in the US but outside the US as well (this is where it gets really, really tricky). If you have not already done an exhaustive patent search, STOP. There is a very high likelihood that anything you make could infringe on an existing patent and all your hard work could end up being totally worthless. Knowing what has been patented, what is already in the public domain, and being able to carefully craft the wording and design of your product to legally get around both of those is the key to having a sellable idea.   

If you do have a great idea, your best bet is to get it out to the market yourself (mortgage your house, max out your credit cards, borrow money from family, etc.). If you have not done absolutely everything you can to fund this yourself (or shown that you have spent thousands of hours coming up with something tangible no-else could come up with), why should anyone risk their $$ if you have not already risked yours? If you have the best thing since sliced bread, investors will be coming to you to help you ramp up production. Before you show it to the world, just make sure you have a correctly filled out provisional patent application just to give you that year buffer even if you don't plan to file for the formal patent.

Finally, I don't care how good your idea is if you don't have a finished and tested prototype. If you come to me with just an idea that you want me to fund, as an Angel Investor I am going to ask for FAR more of your company that you would ever view as reasonable (you would absolutely be the minority investor in the company).   

Funny enough, this EXACT topic was covered in the 9-11-15 Dilbert comic strip ;-)  To quote Alice: "I believe the economic term for what you have is "Nothing" :.    

For the most part you are correct,

Is this a multimillion $ deal? I believe so, and if you are an investor I would be willing to show you and your attorney what I have, just sign a non disclosure, no compete agreement and you can make your own determination. As far as the patent goes I only need it in the US, using a copy that came from outside this country would make the rifle noncompliant with 922r laws. Patent search? I will not be doing one because I know for a fact that this does not exist, you will agree with me once you see what I have...

So you make the call!

Thanks Steve

Shark Tank

They will only loan $$$$ if you are already established....  Thanks