Please tell me why anyone would want a 22 for Self defense

A 10 shot .22 revolver or auto might be the ticket for someone that is recoil sensitive. The revolver has the advantage of reliability and you don't have to police your brass.  I'd rather have a .22 than a pointy stick (unless I wanted to be really quiet!) At the end of the world, a .22 and plenty of ammo will be worth its weight in gold.

Doug

While I don't usually really agree with the assertion that a revolver is more reliable with semi autos, in a rimfire, absolutely. Especially double action. There are lots of 11 and 12 shot revolvers that are easy to shoot and are small. They certainly aren't quiet though.

• Like 1

I've heard many times about .22s leaving really nasty wounds from medical folks, and whilst I admittedly often think of how nice it would be land a gut shot with goose pellets and leave the asshole shitting in a bag for the rest of his life or making him look like he had a nasty case of smallpox its probably better to just explode their heart and/or lungs and not worry about if adrenaline or drugs have currently made them immune to pain. 

Being as a forehead can deflect a .22 and cause it to give the person an under-the-scalp mohawk I wonder how well a .22 can go through bone if it say hits the sternum or a rib instead of passing between them. 

In 1981, John Hinckley damn near killed Ronald Reagan, James Brady and Thomas Delahnty with a .22lr.

It had no problem punching a hole and scrambling James Brady's thinking cap.

Granted, no one died, but Hinckley really didn't know what he was doing, either.

Reagan was actually hit by a ricochet that then entered through the ribs and into his left lung.

Delahnty was wounded in the neck.

• Like 1

while not my 1st choice a 22 beats a ball bat in a gun fight,

some of them are very small can be bought cheap and the ammo was cheap and easy to find for years.

one of my buddies uses one of the little naa 22 revolvers as his carry gun because he can hide it so easy.

my old 22 rifle covers some of my living out in the sticks needs but not usually the 1st thing I grab for stuff bigger than an armadillo.

post-26137-0-60201700-1442929326_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-09525900-1442929353_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-64057500-1442929369.jpg

post-26137-0-95157600-1442929407_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-39364400-1442929421.jpg

In 1981, John Hinckley damn near killed Ronald Reagan, James Brady and Thomas Delahnty with a .22lr.

It had no problem punching a hole and scrambling James Brady's thinking cap.

Granted, no one died, but Hinckley really didn't know what he was doing, either.

Reagan was actually hit by a ricochet that then entered through the ribs and into his left lung.

Delahnty was wounded in the neck.

Indeed, Massad uses .22s so they are good for busting heads at close range but they normally are using them in cloak and dagger situations. Like a tank your brain-case has thicker armor in the front so if you shot someone in the upper bar of the "Fatal T" the bullet can slide around under the skin. 

Sirhan Sirhan did a pretty good job with a .22 as well.