Are the 22 inch barrels no good with 00 buckshot?

I found one reference on this sight where someone said 8 pellet was bad, 9 was better, and #4 buck patterned twice as good. The common knowledge seems to be improved or modified cylinder for buckshot. 22 inchers have FULL+. Is it more for bird and trap and not a versatile shotgun?

Edited by Skoda Werke

There might be some conventional wisdom out there but the only way to know for sure is to buy a variety of boxes with different loads and try them in your shotgun.   I have seen very different patterns out of guns that on paper should have produced the same results.  

Figure out what size pattern you need at what distance and try different brands and loads until you find the one that comes closest to your goals.
Stock up on a reasonable amount for your application and then go out and buy a lot of cheap stuff to practice with and store.  :)

There are still great deals out there on Estate Buckshot, so definitely pick up some of that for your testing.  If your gun likes it, you're in luck and can stack it cheap without compromise.

• Like 2

Sgl has it. Find what patterns in your gun. I have never been impressed with the 12 ga OOB patterns I have gotten and am a fan of #4b for a lot of reasons including the pattern. It might have been my posts you are referring to, but I don't have a 22" barrel. 

The question too is what range? How much penetration do you want at how far away? what combination of choke, wad type, velocity and pellet size puts the most hits inside a circle the size of your target at that range, to the penetration depth you want. The further you go away, the better bigger pellets penetrate, but the less pellets you have to make a hit with. It tends to require trial and error to find out. 

From watching my own results and other youtubers, a tight choke helps with long range. The 22" saiga is a fixed full choke.  Some of the best results I have seen from other people are big pellets through a very tight choke, such as 00B or even 0000B through an XtraTurkey choke. I haven't replicated any shots that far with a formal pattern, but shooting long range with buckshot using conventional shotcups and full choke I have consistently seen more even patterns on the dirt and more hits on pie plate sized targets with Handloaded #4 B vs commercial 00b loads. Not an apples to apples, but telling enough for me to reach some informal conclusion.

• Like 3

The long barrel ones are kinda collectible. If you have one, you could probably trade it for any other model along with a couple mags, but that could take time.

For what you want, "ideal" is a matter of opinion/ what you want to hit at what range. 

I suggest you get a model with a  shorter threaded barrel and the win choke adapter. (or one which has been internally threaded for chokes) You can make that ideal for any shot type at any range. 

personally I prefer a tight choke at almost any range with almost any shot type, however others want a wider spread. As I said, "ideal" is a compromise and ultimately is a matter of what you want it to do. since everything ultimately comes to a prioritization of competing values, it can only be opinion. 

You still haven't said what you want to use it for, so none of us can really give you a meaningful answer about what combination of shot & choke level gives you the best chance of doing that. It sounds like you don't have a lot of experience with shotguns and aren't hunting. Most people are happy with cylinder bore of the shorter barrels for HD, though I prefer some constriction. Either is fine. Just buy one you can change the chokes on and use it. You will find out what you like soon enough.

Over thinking things without even knowing/stating your application will never get you any closer to making an informed choice. So choose short and versatile, and add a choke later if you want one. Boom. Done. moving on.

• 2 weeks later...