I will be acquiring a 10/22 takedown here soon and I need some advice. I would want to add a scope to it but not sure what mounting options or scopes to get. It will not have a scope mount on it. Should I go with a factory rail mount or aftermarket weaver type base? What magnification would be good for the limits of the caliber? I would like to keep the overall setup around $100. Any advice is appreciated.

I put a cheap Nikon scope on mine and used see through rings that permit the use of the iron sights for up close work.

Always saw this thing as a backpack/survival rifle and figured that set up would give me the best of both worlds.

Just my 2c. Good luck outfitting your new rifle.

Edit to add pic.

post-15138-0-95643400-1442945349_thumb.jpg

Edited by DaveM
  • Like 1

If you set up your scope with good eye relief and a reasonable field of view, the irons are always the worst choice. Those see through rings suck. They are way more awkward than just using the scope up close. I have no trouble shooting at 15' or so with a scope, and I always find the assertion that scopes don't work up close laughable. You can make the scope akward at any range by making it sit just above the natural cheek weld though.

"Cheap" nikon would be a very nice scope IMO. 

Pick something that goes from a power around 1 or 3 with a decent zoom. You want a big field of view at both levels and forgiving eye relief numbers. i.e. listed as a range rather than a fixed length. The biggest thing with a scope is how much area you can see around the target whether close or far away. That helps you find the target, and not lose it if you inadvertently shift a little. It also radically reduces the feeling of shakiness you get from high magnification.

Be sure to check out the BSA Sweet 22 scope. 3x9 with changable target turrets for 36 or 40 grain. Once sighted in, all you have to do it adjust the top turret for distance from 25 yrds to 175 yrds...and in my experience it has always been dead on. It is an absolute steal at under $50.

• Like 3

Be sure to check out the BSA Sweet 22 scope. 3x9 with changable target turrets for 36 or 40 grain. Once sighted in, all you have to do it adjust the top turret for distance from 25 yrds to 175 yrds...and in my experience it has always been dead on. It is an absolute steal at under $50.

Sounds cool. BSA seem to be OK up to a couple hundred yards. Then stuff gets harder to see, and higher optical quality starts to matter more. So no problem for a .22. For $50, you can at least try it out. Either you are happy, or it goes on ebay for $30 and you now have a pretty good idea what features matter to you.

• Like 1

I can only speak to my experience, but the optic has been rock solid. It has several hundred rounds through it with only the original zero. When I set the turret to 100 it is dead on at 100. Got it about 3 years ago or so. To GF's point, the glass doesn't have to be top notch because of typical 22 shooting distances, but IMHO it is still very decent. They have them at just about every sporting goods store if you want to check it out in person. But obviously I am pleased and won't be replacing mine anytime soon.

• Like 1

I have a Barska plinker 22 4x fixed scope on my 10/22 and it works well for my needs out to 100yds.

It has been on my rifle for around 8yrs and has not failed.

There is also a 3-9 version, I have no experience with but if it is as good as my 4x, I would expect it to be a reliable set up.

And no , do not think I would use a Barska on my center fire rifles, but for cheap, I am ok with it on my 10/22. don't hold me to it but I want to say it was under $50.

http://www.barska.com/Plinker-22_Rifle_Scopes-BARSKA_4x32_IR_PLINKER-22_SCOPE_with_Rings_1.html

I'd have to dig it out to see what rings I used (they were a little pricey), but the scope is BSA on a Ruger factory rail. For a little mouse gun this thing is dead accurate in the 50-100yd range and a lot of fun for new shooters. GunFun does have a lot of merits when you dial up the magnification, but for a bench rest gun it works out fine. Lots of fun for shooting cards.

post-1866-0-67419700-1442974543_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent first question and thank you.  Like a lot of us here, do not ask how much $$$ we have spent on various Ruger 10-22 configurations and scope combinations.  I for one must have had over 6 different stocks and at least that many different scopes on my 10-22 before I was 100% happy.  Then for no good reason, I would change things again.  Then I sold the rifle.  Then I bought another.  Around and around.

Consider the BSA 3x9 .22rf specific scope.  Fiddle with the cams.  The problem is finding good amounts of ammo that work with the bullet drop settings with the scope.  We settled on Winchester Wildcat for plinking ammo.  Yes you will use the 9x setting.  Yes that scope is very big and clunky.  Since your Ruger comes apart and all, you might want to consider a compact 4x32 scope from J and G Sales.  Cheap and works.

I'd have to dig it out to see what rings I used (they were a little pricey), but the scope is BSA on a Ruger factory rail. For a little mouse gun this thing is dead accurate in the 50-100yd range and a lot of fun for new shooters. GunFun does have a lot of merits when you dial up the magnification, but for a bench rest gun it works out fine. Lots of fun for shooting cards.

I was stating starting magnification, not max. I too am a fan of the zoom. Moreso as my eyes get worse, but even when I had better than 20/20, I shot better and faster with a good adjustable scope. 

In all fairness, I guess we should all be asking what you want to do with the optics. The BSA is a big scope. My daughter and I split golf tees with it from 50-100 yards bench rest. If you want to take advantage of the "take down" of the Ruger, it may not be the the best option. Here is the rifle I have the BSA scope on:

post-37530-0-06848300-1443051639_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

22s are fairly easy to scope since there is little to no recoil consideration. 

I will put whatever leftover thats in good shape on one and call it done but of course know it can always be better. 

If I were buying a scope for that purpose a short 4x with good glass, focus, and mil dot ret would be as far as I would take it. 

Not going after much of anything past 100m anyway.

Of course its a good idea to have one rifle with some sort of NV and being practical put it on the 22 for the night critters.