I have a Saiga 12 I picked up a couple of years ago converted for 450.00 . I have 2 boys so I w thinking anther ak shotgun one for each of them . I can get the Saiga 12 for 950 plus tax makes it a 1000 dollar gun uncovereted . I see the Vepr 12 the one with the stock welded open and 100 rounds of wolf ammo for 799.00 on slickguns . I think the Vepr 12 is the better deal what do you guys think? My Saiga runs like a scalded dog , I do not know anything about Vepr's enlighten me please ?

My V12 has a way more harsh recoil impulse then my S12 does. It makes it less pleasant to shoot.

You'll have to start over on collecting magazines too, with the V12. Unless you convert your S12 to magwell mags.

Dollar for dollar, feature for feature, the V12 is the better buy. But there is more out there for the S12. Really depends on the buyer.

• Like 3

I have a schweet S12, runs great and

But if I was buying another AK shottie, it would be a Vepr12 for a number of reasons.

Mainly just to have one for the collection, you know the spice of life, variety.

Believe me I'd love to be able to double down on all my Saigas for parts, but buying guns is like dating women... Try as many as you can.

This one comes up a lot. it really depends on what features you want to end up with and what style of furniture. Get the one that's closest to your end point. If you want AKM furniture, square backed Veprs are scarce, so that tips toward saigas. As does adjustable gas.

If you want all the features on a Vepr, but an AKM style stock, the Saiga Iz-433 is the way to go.

If recoil and wide range of ammo, then something with the Iz-109 type gas block (& an autoplug)

If you want LRBHO, and all the gizmos with a folder, then Vepr is hard to beat.

now not all v12 recoil the same... ive had 2 or 3 now, and 1 was way over gassed i think. it beat the shiite outta me. the other 2 have not been so ridiculos... i e, if you decided on vper and recoil too high, try another it may be better... not sure why it is that way, maybe too big of port holes, or really i think "timing" may be off. becayse really onlty thing diff is the gas and puck setup...

If you are going to leave it long (non-SBS) then you will probably be very happy with a V12. If you want to go shorter than 13.5" or so, Saiga 12 is king when it comes to potential reliability.