Manufacturers Price Points

I was in a box store the other day looking at the long guns. Marlin (Remlin) lever actions to be exact. I was especially interested in a 1895 in .45-70 Government that was priced at $589 ( http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895.asp ). Sitting right beside it was a 336C in .30-30 priced at $329 ( http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfire/336c.asp ).

Is the manufacturing and materials so different in these two riles as to validate a $260 difference? 

Edited by YOT
  • Like 1

This is something I've wondered quite often about magnum handgun rounds, specifically .357.

Same bullet, same primer, slightly longer case, and a little more gun powder. Why does .357 cost twice as much as .38?

This is something I've wondered quite often about magnum handgun rounds, specifically .357.

Same bullet, same primer, slightly longer case, and a little more gun powder. Why does .357 cost twice as much as .38?

Why does .380ACP cost 2X more than 9MM? It has LESS material.

Why does .380ACP cost 2X more than 9MM? It has LESS material.

Volume of production....

The extreme one to me is .410 ammo vs 12 ga. All the materials are bulk commodities. They don't even need to form special bullets, it's the same shot, just less of it. You can buy the components from the MFRs and the .410 wads are a little higher, but nothing else is special for the .410 other than the hull.

• Like 1