Question about 24 inch barrel..

I found my IZ-107 pretty easily a few years ago. The box was not sealed in plastic. I think that would be the hardest to find. Don't think any actually come wrapped in plastic. Inside the firearm was in a plastic bag but not sealed. Might be worth something to a collector in a few decades, but probably more just another blaster.

My two cents.

Oh and... It wasn't a great deal. I paid for what I wanted... $700.

I found my IZ-107 pretty easily a few years ago. The box was not sealed in plastic. I think that would be the hardest to find. Don't think any actually come wrapped in plastic. Inside the firearm was in a plastic bag but not sealed. Might be worth something to a collector in a few decades, but probably more just another blaster.

My two cents.Oh and... It wasn't a great deal. I paid for what I wanted... $700.

Thanks for your help. How many gas holes are in the barrel on your 24 inch barrel? What do you think are the positives of the 24 over other length barrels? What shells would you recommend to use with the gun?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by machinist

There are people who will pay extra for them, but it isn't instant cash. They tend to be about $800 for an unmodified one, even used. Someone who wants one might pay an extra few hundred though. Many of them are older imports without the manual BHO. They look great with the sporter style wood too.

There are people who will pay extra for them, but it isn't instant cash. They tend to be about $800 for an unmodified one, even used. Someone who wants one might pay an extra few hundred though. Many of them are older imports without the manual BHO. They look great with the sporter style wood too.

GunFun, Thanks for your help! As always appreciated..

My two cents.Oh and... It wasn't a great deal. I paid for what I wanted... $700.

Thanks for your help. How many gas holes are in the barrel on your 24 inch barrel? What do you think are the positives of the 24 over other length barrels? What shells would you recommend to use with the gun?

Thanks for your help!

I got my 2009 production 24" NIB and it has two gas holes. I went with the 24" over the 19" because I wanted a bit more velocity with slugs, since it's used as a boat defense firearm. We were looking for every ft/lb of energy we could get. It's loaded with 11/4 oz Federal magnum slugs.

I am pretty sure you can get hotter slugs than that. Additional barrel length past 12" has very rapidly diminishing returns for increased velocity. Typically ammo is maybe 50 FPS faster out of a 24" barrel than an 18", but some very slow powders might be as high as 200 FPS faster. Very few people are shooting true 3" max loads.... If you really want more energy at the muzzle, buying or making true max loads is going to be more effective. Use something with a slow powder.

Aren't you concerned about corrosion with an S12 on a boat?

I am pretty sure you can get hotter slugs than that. Additional barrel length past 12" has very rapidly diminishing returns for increased velocity. Typically ammo is maybe 50 FPS faster out of a 24" barrel than an 18", but some very slow powders might be as high as 200 FPS faster. Very few people are shooting true 3" max loads.... If you really want more energy at the muzzle, buying or making true max loads is going to be more effective. Use something with a slow powder.

Aren't you concerned about corrosion with an S12 on a boat?

Thanks GF for trying to up my game. We're still looking at ammo choices, including the DDUPLEX mag rounds since they're steel, not lead, and I presume as a result will deliver more instantaneous energy to bust fiberglass or crack cast iron than lead would, which deforms more readily, delivering its energy a bit more slowly. Regarding corrosion, we have it in huge Ziploc bags (I have some up to 20 gallon size) with silica gel. I thought about vacuum sealing them, but if there's a breach in the plastic, the vacuum is lost sucking in sea air, which is the wrong thing to do. I guess ideally, the container would be filled with compressed dry nitrogen, but that's beyond me!

Edited by JohnnyE

Interresting. I have thought about DDupex for similar things, but less seriously.

There are plenty of rifles which would far out penetrate shotgun slugs though.

On our boat, one of the favorite products was this stuff: http://learchem.com/products/corrosion-block.html I won't claim "best' or anything, but really good at freeing up really crusty nasty stuff.

Our boat guns were actively used for pest control and abused/neglected severely.They were constantly out in salt spray, and acidic fish blood, rarely maintained. SS was a must, and frankly very few SS firearms held up. Our winchester 1300 SS "Police Marine Magnum" more or less turned to green powder. Rugers are more truly SS than most, so my dad is a diehard client of theirs. Your way would probably be a good solution if you are thinking about defending from modern piracy and the like though. Have a knife in a sheath taped to the ziploc so you can have the firearm out in a fast swipe.... Silica gel desiccant can be bought cheaply as "crystal" cat litter. It might be worth making a few bags of that to put in your gun bags too. I made some of those using the bottom of old pants, and they are great. I keep some in my car in winter, my gun safe, and in my ammo cans. 

He came in the box, now he guards the gun safe.

WOW...That's impressive! Sleep well at night....

Thanks for your help!

I got my 2009 production 24" NIB and it has two gas holes. I went with the 24" over the 19" because I wanted a bit more velocity with slugs, since it's used as a boat defense firearm. We were looking for every ft/lb of energy we could get. It's loaded with 11/4 oz Federal magnum slugs.

Thanks for the serious information from you and GF, always count on opinions I can trust from you guys on the forum! Thanks!

Interresting. I have thought about DDupex for similar things, but less seriously.

There are plenty of rifles which would far out penetrate shotgun slugs though.

On our boat, one of the favorite products was this stuff: http://learchem.com/products/corrosion-block.html I won't claim "best' or anything, but really good at freeing up really crusty nasty stuff.

Our boat guns were actively used for pest control and abused/neglected severely.They were constantly out in salt spray, and acidic fish blood, rarely maintained. SS was a must, and frankly very few SS firearms held up. Our winchester 1300 SS "Police Marine Magnum" more or less turned to green powder. Rugers are more truly SS than most, so my dad is a diehard client of theirs. Your way would probably be a good solution if you are thinking about defending from modern piracy and the like though. Have a knife in a sheath taped to the ziploc so you can have the firearm out in a fast swipe.... Silica gel desiccant can be bought cheaply as "crystal" cat litter. It might be worth making a few bags of that to put in your gun bags too. I made some of those using the bottom of old pants, and they are great. I keep some in my car in winter, my gun safe, and in my ammo cans. 

Rifles, yup, but a few licensed captain friends advised that citizens will generally loose to well-armed bad guys who's profession is to kill us and take the boat. They said we want the bad guys to see, from a distance, that we are well armed. Rather than attack and risk injury themselves, they'll wait for another, less formidable "fish" in the sea to go after. That's why we chose the Saiga, because with a 12 round SGM mad and the big CSS muzzle brake, it looks impressive from a distance, and may better dissuade the bad guys from trying. Well, that and, with the MD Arms 20 round drum, you can spread quite a bit of buckshot if things get close.

ETA: Oh yeah, Corrosion Block is an old friend. Can't forget to shoot it into keyholes, hinges, and so on.

Edited by JohnnyE
  • Like 1

...and if we're rolling in 5 to 8 footers, I just want to get some lead on target.

Relax and shoot rifles like shotguns. Keep loose and roll with the boat, and deliberately swing through your target. Break the trigger any time the sights line up. You'll do better than you expect.  It will ruin you for precision land shooting though-- or at least that's my excuse.

For small boats-john boats, canoes, ect. an AR-7 is perfect. I bought one of those many years ago after some SOB in a cabin cruiser tryed to swamp our little 14' Whaler with his wake. He wanted to go skiing in our best fishing spot. Damned near killed us. AR-7 all stores inside the stock anf even floats! .22 is just enough gun to take out a motor, or discourage assholes from trying to run you over for their drunken enjoyment.

A little auto type dielectric grease on the butstock seal and the AR-7 is totally water proof for storage, and goes togethe in seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry I didn't follow up on this. Looks like you received some good advice though. The 107 will eat everything out of the box but but really loves high brass. My gun has two gas ports. I run a poly choke so the extra barrel length doesn't help there... It does however give a boost to magnum slugs.

The only malfunctions I have had with the gun are when it isn't held snugly and recoil forces aren't allowed to cycle the carrier properly, and one of the springs (BHO IIRC) kept sliding off an armature so I had to bend the end a little.

She is a mammoth though.

Converting her finally this week if I ever get the parts shipped.

I found my IZ-107 pretty easily a few years ago. ...

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Shankspony

...and if we're rolling in 5 to 8 footers, I just want to get some lead on target.

Relax and shoot rifles like shotguns. Keep loose and roll with the boat, and deliberately swing through your target. Break the trigger any time the sights line up. You'll do better than you expect.  It will ruin you for precision land shooting though-- or at least that's my excuse.

That's a heck of an idea...and pretty much how I shoot long range rifle off-hand. I learned I just cannot hold steady on target, and developed technique of breaking as I swung through the target. Works remarkably well. From watching the Military Channel or AHC, IIRC, that's how the gun on the M1 Abrams works when firing while on the move. The barrel cannot be stopped from bobbing around, so the round it sent when the barrel is swinging through the target.

Hey, sorry I didn't follow up on this. Looks like you received some good advice though. The 107 will eat everything out of the box but but really loves high brass. My gun has two gas ports. I run a poly choke so the extra barrel length doesn't help there... It does however give a boost to magnum slugs.

The only malfunctions I have had with the gun are when it isn't held snugly and recoil forces aren't allowed to cycle the carrier properly, and one of the springs (BHO IIRC) kept sliding off an armature so I had to bend the end a little.

She is a mammoth though.

Converting her finally this week if I ever get the parts shipped.

I found my IZ-107 pretty easily a few years ago. ...

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for getting back to me!

• Like 1