CSS conversion kit #7 question

bullet guide f@ck up repaired

trigger complete

pistol grip completed

now my kit looks to have a block i need to install in order to install the stock, i dont have directions on this and cant find on youtube, can you guys help me

there is one pin on top and then a rivet on both sides, im guessing drill out rivets and replace with screws but what about the top pin

thanks

mike

post-46575-0-47514000-1443715353_thumb.jpg

post-46575-0-13650100-1443715395_thumb.jpg

post-46575-0-87703700-1443715427_thumb.jpg

You will need to cut off the tang flush with the receiver. The block will then slide all the way in. The side screws go into the old trigger pin holes and the top screw goes in the hole just ahead of the tang.

First, take a moment to consider if you really want to cut the tang.  There are a ton of great stock options out there that won't require you to permanently alter the rifle.  Maybe you already put a bunch of thought into this before ordering the part, but if not it's worth a few minutes of contemplation.  If you decide that you want to keep the tang, I would bet CSS would be happy to take the part back, or you could sell it.

You'll be able to swap stocks that are compatible with that block.   You would lose the ability to use any standard AK buttstocks out there.
I'm not sure what you were going to attach to this block, but there is probably a comparable alternative that will bolt up to your tang.

With your tang still intact you could use VLTOR or Rifle Dynamics adapter to attach a tube and M4 Stock.  Magpul and Bonesteel (CNC Warrior) make excellent folding options, and there is surplus furniture from wire and Beryl folders to good old fashioned wood that will bolt right up to your existing tang.

I've never been a fan of removing the tang and actually passed up a good deal on a Saiga .223 because the owner had chopped it off.  In my opinion, you're hurting the resale value and limiting your options with very little to gain.

• Like 1

You can use that block for modular style, m4 style, folders, fixed and other options. It really won't hurt much to cut it off. You can use a dremel with a cutting wheel or a hacksaw or some other cutting tool to remove it, then sand it flush.

Note that if you choose an adapter that retains the tang, some will lengthen the LOP considerably. Choose carefully.

Edited by Heartbreaker

If you don't want to cut the tang, give CSS a call.  They are great people and supporters of the forum.
They sell different packages, so they may allow you to return the block and stock for a partial refund on what you paid for the kit.

Pros and cons to folding on either side.   Folding to the left, it would be easier to operate with the stock folded as it will not be blocking your access to the charging handle or safety.   However, a left side folder will not fold completely if you have an optic mounted using the side rail.

If you plan to use your side rail to mount optics, one that folds to the right is probably a better choice.
If you don't plan on using optics or prefer an Ultimak or other option that doesn't use the rail, folding to the left may be the way to go.

• Like 1

bullet guide f@ck up repaired

trigger complete

pistol grip completed

now my kit looks to have a block i need to install in order to install the stock, i dont have directions on this and cant find on youtube, can you guys help me

there is one pin on top and then a rivet on both sides, im guessing drill out rivets and replace with screws but what about the top pin

thanks

mike

Look at how Tromix uses the rear of the guns they build, you can see all the different ways to mount the stock....

• Like 2