Unless you're looking to print tiny groups for fun, you shouldn't need magnification at 50-100.

In my opinion, the ideal offering from Primary Arms is their Advanced Micro Dot. (MD-ADS)

They are a clone of the Aimpoint T1 and a good one at that.   The advanced version mentioned above even has the ridiculous battery life that will allow you to leave it on at all times.

For a cheap QD option, you can get the Key Zion Aimpoint T1 Quick Release for $25 which would let you quickly remove the optic if you had a problem with it.  There's plenty of video of Primary Arms dots taking a beating in torture tests, so it should hold up just fine, but rain or mud can make it hard to see through an optic so it's really nice to be able to switch back to irons with the flip of a lever.

Primary-Arms-Advanced-Micro-Dot_423x350.

Edit: Recommended Retailer -  The best price I've found on these is at Mounts Plus.   If you use the coupon code MSP3000 you can get it for $157.94 delivered.   This company has been great about customer service and they ship quickly, so I'm happy to recommend them.

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot with Push Buttons - 181-PA-MDADS
1 $169.99 - Coupon: MSP3000: ($17.00) Shipping: USPS - First Class Mail: $4.95 Sales Tax: $0.00   Total: $157.94
Edited by SGL
  • Like 3

Another option is the Vortex SPARC2. I got one off Amazon for like $169 shipped, just have to watch the prices. Comes with flip caps too. Youtube for reviews

If you're going to spend more then $200....then buck up and get an Aimpoint PRO. They are excellent optics!

Edited by Mullet Man

I went with holosun for my red dots, they are the manufacturer for primary arms dots and i simply could not resist a solar powered red dot! They are a little pricier than the p.a. md w 50k hrs battery life but not too much more. The holosun circle dot sight is my favorite, you can turn the circle on or off and still have the dot. Plus it also has insane battery life as it only pulls from the battery when theres not enough ambient light. Hope this helps!

Another option is the Vortex SPARC2. I got one off Amazon for like $169 shipped, just have to watch the prices. Comes with flip caps too. Youtube for reviews

If you're going to spend more then $200....then buck up and get an Aimpoint PRO. They are excellent optics!

why is it identified as an AR style high mount, and is that what i would want?

Vortex Optics SPARC 2 Red Dot MOA (SPC-402), Black, AR 15 Scope (High Mount)

why is it identified as an AR style high mount, and is that what i would want?

Vortex Optics SPARC 2 Red Dot MOA (SPC-402), Black, AR 15 Scope (High Mount)

It also comes with a low mount. It's just specifying what mount, for what co-witness (absolute or lower 1/3) if used on an AR.

Edited by Mullet Man

i have the full titan rail kit installed

what do you guys recommend i look at? ive seen discussions about vortex and bushnell but not specific models

50-100 yards will i need magnification?

I believe the Burris FastFire III will co-witness with Chaos rail sights, if you also purchased along with the rail....I have the Chaos full rail and Chaos sight  with a Burris FF III on an S-12 that will co-witness! Please double check with Chaos to see if the sights will co-witness on the rifle, if you have the sights.

How do you like the full rail on your rifle? I want one for my rifle!

Edited by machinist

Cowitness refers to the ability to see and use your iron sights through an optic without removing it.   There are different variations.
Absolute cowitness means that when the optic is zeroed, the dot will sit on top of your front sight post when it's properly aligned with the rear.   The benefit of this is that it lets you use the same cheek weld for both irons and the dot.

Also very common are mounts/optics with a lower 1/3 cowitness.   This means that when zeroed, the dot will be up higher than the irons, but the irons are still visible in the lower 1/3 of the optic.   

It is a nice feature to have in case your optic goes down, but in my opinion, quick detach is more valuable.   Cowitness will not help you if the optic gets covered in mud or even rain or snow.   I really like the ability to remove the optic and switch to irons on a moments notice.  

Some setups like an Aimpoint Micro or Primary Arms clone mounted to an LRP or ARMS#31 QD mount give you both cowitness and quick detach, which is optimal.

It's great to have both, but you should at least have one.