Intro - new Saiga-12 owner

So now we're saying it takes a skilled machinist to do this super simple task? You sure you guys aren't engineers and just over thinking this whole process?

How do you modify the shaft to fit the receiver?

Polishing or filing the "pinch part" that would be inside the receiver achieves the same as bending the lever outward at the point closest to the receiver when it's installed. Careful manipulation requires no tools.

Six to one half dozen to another.

You are willfully misunderstanding what he said, just to be argumentative.

They both mentioned that they are machinists to show that they have some basis to do the work well, not that you can't do the work without being a machinist. You know that, you're just wanting to fight for no reason.

• Like 3

They both mentioned that they are machinists to show that they have some basis to do the work well, not that you can't do the work without being a machinist. You know that, you're just wanting to fight for no reason.

Put your badge away Smokey, you're reading too much into it.

One guy says he modified the safety shaft, the other says the pinch point on the inside of the receiver. I asked how he modified the safety shaft. I'd never heard that before.

Notice the "six to one half dozen to another"?

The machinist drop was to show they know more about it and have the best way to do something. That's all that was. Being a machinist with access to those tools and doing things like one doesn't help the average joe.

One guy says he modified the safety shaft, the other says the pinch point on the inside of the receiver. I asked how he modified the safety shaft. I'd never heard that before.

The machinist drop was to show they know more about it and have the best way to do something. That's all that was. Being a machinist with access to those tools and doing things like one doesn't help the average joe.

Im pretty sure that I never mentioned any lathes, mills, or CNC machines to do this simple task. I did however mention files and sandpaper, but I guess not every average joe has access to files and sandpaper. What I DID say was that its is up to the user and their skill/confidence level in performing this modification to their own firearm. I dropped the machinist aspect of my knowledge assuming that you would equate that to attention to detail...but I guess you didn't. 

Edited by BLK-HWK-VET
  • Like 1

Im pretty sure that I never mentioned any lathes, mills, or CNC machines to do this simple task. I did however mention files and sandpaper, but I guess not every average joe has access to files and sandpaper. What I DID say was that its is up to the user and their skill/confidence level in performing this modification to their own firearm. I dropped the machinist aspect of my knowledge assuming that you would equate that to attention to detail...but I guess you didn't. 

beer.gif  I guess I didn't

Excuse me for trying to offer an opinion about what I did. I didn't use anything but hand tools that anyone can purchase at Harbor Freight...

I just asked what you did to the shaft, you're the one that felt the need to mention you were a machinist. I equate a machinist who mentions working on parts, with using the equipment/tooling, at their disposal. Pretty cut and dry assumption, especially when there is no mention of the tools you used to do it. But thank you for clarifying. No hard feelings.

I'm no machinist, obviously. I'm just a big dumb Lineman with a simple, yet effective approach. Like I said, six to one half dozen to another.