Convert 308 or get DA Saiga?

So I am on the ball about two options. Either convert my bull barrel saiga 308 or save up to get a definitive arms saiga 556 w/ ar15 adapter. I plan on using either rifle for training classes, plinking, and as my go-to rifle (non-HD). Lastly i am currently a student so after this purchase i can probably afford $100 +/- $25 per month or two in ammo.

If i convert the 308, it will be cheaper short term. Mags and ammo is what will be more expensive in the long run.

If i buy the DA saiga 556, it will be more expensive up front, but ammo or mags are cheaper and easier to come by. Plus the AR like mag and bolt release.

Convert the 308. With the right ammo (179grn Hornaday) scope mount (I really like Midwest) ammo, and some polishing of the trigger 1" groups are VERY possible.

Which is unheard of with an Saiga or any AK action for that matter. I love .308, although I admit I am biased. It is everything 5.56 and 7.62X39 should be! I would not give up a Saiga 308 for a 5.56 if my balls were on fire and the fire hydrant was the trade.
  • Like 1

Buy the DA NOW, convert the S-.308 later!  If you convert now, you will be without it for some time as you convert. If you buy the DA you will have 2 guns NOW, and will not be without a working gun during the conversion.

• Like 1

Convert the 308. With the right ammo (179grn Hornaday) scope mount (I really like Midwest) ammo, and some polishing of the trigger 1" groups are VERY possible.

Which is unheard of with an Saiga or any AK action for that matter. I love .308, although I admit I am biased. It is everything 5.56 and 7.62X39 should be! I would not give up a Saiga 308 for a 5.56 if my balls were on fire and the fire hydrant was the trade.

This is the  second one that  I've seen capable of such. Typical groups we get are 1.25"-1".  Both the riles are built by TAC47 with 14" barrels and PWS FSC-30 brakes and MidWest rail.

I've got an old Barska 4-10x50 on mine. I don't remember what the other guy has... That said, I know these are BIG claims, but I'm not one to make a claim without providing proof. I do intend to make a video, as soon as I can get a camera man to help me out. I don't feel that just posting targets with holes in it is enough.

• Like 1

Buy the DA NOW, convert the S-.308 later!  If you convert now, you will be without it for some time as you convert. If you buy the DA you will have 2 guns NOW, and will not be without a working gun during the conversion.

Now that I re read the original post, I realize this wasn't an "either/or" question. With that realization, I would get the 5.56 and convert the .308 as time and finances allowed.