I'm easily 40 lbs above where I should be so this week I started hitting my old running trails again. I feel like shit! My legs and feet hurt. But no matter what, I can't stop. So far I'm waking about 1 mile and jogging a little over 1 also. My goal is to be to run 3 miles non stop. Every morning my mind keeps going back to that scene in zombie land about cardio.

• Like 8

Thanks! I hate having a gut and no chin in every freaking picture. But more than anything, I can't stand feeling out of breath doing simple things. I was a gym rat for many years of my life, and looking back at my pictures then just dissapoints me. I know I'm not young anymore and will never regain my former physique, but if I can at least be slim again I'll be happy.

You can do it.  Do not give up.  I used to be in great shape for my old age of 68, but lately have kinda let things slide also.  Every day is a big challenge to get onto that high school track and start walking laps.  Remember also that we can be in excellent shape but still feel like shit. 

Was in McAllen, TX yesterday so I decided to check out some running shoes for my tired old feet.  I was shocked!  They aren't only ugly as hell, they are ridiculously expensive.  Not only that, the majority appear to be total crap.  No cushion or arch support. When did running shoes get so bad?  The only shoes that vaguely reminded me of what a running shoe should be were almost $200 or above.

Hey DLT.

Man I read your title and thought you lost your job. Glad to see I'm wrong. Good to hear your out there running again.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Despite my name I've competed in a half dozen or so marathons, an ironman race, and more short distance races than I could possibly hope to remember. I'm no winner, but I could probably help a bit.

As to the shoes, yeah, they're ugly. But first and foremost. Go to a running store. Not a place that sells running shoes. When you walk in it should be small, have both walls stacked to the ceiling with shoes, and a few racks of shorts you would never wear and a few t shirts.

They'll help you decide what kind of arch support you need. They should be asking what your current goals are. If they don't watch you take a short ( 50ft) run in any shoe you're considering, walk out. FWIW I wear a motion control shoe ( total flat foot) and they usually run about 120 a pair.

Also. Most shoes will only last about 500 miles on pavement. You'll get around 700 on a treadmill. Good luck.

• Like 5

Thanks fatty!  I'm really limited by what's around here. I was looking online and found the Brooks Beast 14.  It seems to be what I'm looking for based on all the info available.  $150 is the best price I found for them.

• Like 2

Just got in from my run.  Added a quarter mile to the distance this morning.  Aiming for the end of the week to be up to the extra mile and then I'll linger there for about two weeks before adding more.  Felt good today, but man I'm lardy.  Was at a town fiesta last night and the wife snapped some pics.  I look like a boa that swallowed a piglet.  My mid section is pathetic!  This is gonna take a hell of an effort.  

• Like 1

Hey DLT.

Man I read your title and thought you lost your job. Glad to see I'm wrong. Good to hear your out there running again.

+1 

I'm with you. I was never athletic adonis or anything but I had very physical work and an abnormally high metabolism.... So I was fit, and stronger than I looked for most of my adult life. Then a few years of office work and then a broken vertabre etc. in mid (2013?)... Well I lost a lot of muscle mass and stamina, and I actually get cold like other people now. I've been walking and jogging 3+ days a week and doing stuff like 20 pushups when ever the thought occurs to me during the day. I am not back to normal, but after a few months I am starting to feel the fruit of the work. Worth it. You will get there. Give yourself an easy punishment or an easy reward for every couple of days on/off the wagon. Something you wouldn't do otherwise. Mine is a range trip/week at some local IPSC outlaw thing for $10 vs as many jumping jacks as I can do. I hate jumping jacks with all the flabby fibers of my being, and several fibers of your being too, so it's good motivaton to keep up with my easier exercise.

It is good you have made the decision you have. 40% of the US population is obese. Personally I think it is higher and almost every single health problem I have to deal with each day is directly related to obesity. Diabetes, arthritic degeneration, heart disease, vascular disease even cancers and many more.

Be advised that while running is great cardio, it is very detrimental to your back, ankles, hips and knees. You're doing it for the cardio and subsequent weight loss but that is offset by the ortho damage it causes and one day may not allow you to do that at all.

If I may suggest, cross train. I do weights 6 days a week, 4 of those days are chest, arms, back and legs follows by 35 non stop minutes on an elliptical. On the other days I do a modified chest and arm routine with weights followed by 50 minutes on the elliptical. It translates to about 30 miles a week and the elliptical automatically adjusts the incline and resistance and it is important to keep the cadence at 65 strides a minute or greater but it allows the the intense cardio without the joint damage at the same time stimulating the joints to produce synovial fluid which will keep the arthritis at bay. On the weekends I also try to fit in some augmented p90x, kenpo and plyometrics.

Most importantly is your diet, even more so than the exercise. Try a strict paleo,ovo,lacto diet. No breads, grains or processed foods. Absolutely avoid all fast food and soft drinks and anything with HFCS. These are poisons. Fortunately I have a personal gym and if you have access to one go, frequently.

Good luck and keep it up, for the rest of your life. You just make it part of your life. If you can watch tv or surf the net for 1-2 hours a day you just substitute this for that.

image_zpsniicuajh.jpeg

• Like 2

In the late 80's and early 90's, I could run a mile, but not competitively. However, I could sprint high 10's in 100 meters and consistent low 22's in the 200 meters. I was built for speed. I was 140 lbs of solid nerve and muscle. Now I'm almost 200 lbs of pure jelly rolls and hamburgers. I was good up until 5 years ago when my job and finances went to hell. I stopped doing everything except eating. My natural frame size is medium, yet now I need XL clothes or they don't fit. What's worse is my kids still remember me in shape and can't believe how far I've fallen. This time I'm determined. No more self destruction. This is my only body, and I can't continue to neglect it.

• Like 4

One foot in front of the other, one day at a time, and go one week more...

It won't happen over night... but given the above mentality, it will happen...

Get started and ignore the scale for the first 3 weeks... Just get "hard-core"...then check it every 3 days....

Just my advice...

Macbeau

• Like 4

In the late 80's and early 90's, I could run a mile, but not competitively. However, I could sprint high 10's in 100 meters and consistent low 22's in the 200 meters. I was built for speed. I was 140 lbs of solid nerve and muscle. Now I'm almost 200 lbs of pure jelly rolls and hamburgers. I was good up until 5 years ago when my job and finances went to hell. I stopped doing everything except eating. My natural frame size is medium, yet now I need XL clothes or they don't fit. What's worse is my kids still remember me in shape and can't believe how far I've fallen. This time I'm determined. No more self destruction. This is my only body, and I can't continue to neglect it.

Here is the peculiar thing. You already made the decision which will save and prolong your life so you can be with your kids, wife, grandkids. As my friend Tony Horton says Decide, Commit, Succeed! You will find you feel much better, have more energy and your appetite will decrease. When you feel that urge to snack drink a large glass of ice water and to keep those hunger pangs away, eat small amounts of cashews, almonds or dried fruit frequently during the day. This works.

You will find as I did many years ago that I get bitchy if I miss a workout because of the endorphin/enkephalin high you get and you want that each day. This is a naturally physiological process so don't misconstrue this with recreational addictions, far from it.

The results will come quicker than you think. If you don't have access to weights or machines/ gym I highly, highly recommend P90X. This can be done in your bedroom and it is intense and yes, very hard at first but when you find it becoming easier it will be happening.

• Like 1

I know all about P90X.  My son and daughter both do it daily.  Their coach won't let them weight train because he fears loss of flexibility.  My daughter looks fairly normal, but the boy has turned into a monster from doing it.....and swimming 2500 yards daily.

Added half a mile this morning. Hurt a bit, but sucked it up. Saturated my t-shirt really well. Starting to feel stronger already. I actually kind of enjoyed myself. Beats hearing the idiots on TV argue about gun control.

• Like 1

For old farts, just getting your ass out of that chair and WALKING is the first and mort important step. If you do not have a partner to walk with get a dog! Just get your ASS out of the chair!

You are correct! Us old farts, like a shark, need to keep moving to stay alive...

• Like 2

Did the 2.2 miles this morning. Felt great. Extremely humid though. I finally saw another human on the path I've been running. I think I scared the hell out of the guy (I think he thought I was an illegal alien coming out of the brush!). It turned out it was a guy who's wife worked with me in my old job. Did my standard .5 mile cool down afterward. Took me 20 minutes to run the 2.2. Can't wait for tomorrow.

• Like 3

Oh the pain, the agony; the body pain.  I am now proud to say that the daily walk (except Sunday) is now up to a whopping 1 mile.  Big deal for me.  Hopefully within a month or sosss I will be back up to just walking hard for one hour daily.  That is it.  Nothing fancy or non doable.  Already I feel better; I mean worserer.  HB of CJ (old coot)  smile.png

• Like 2

We aren't getting any younger! Stay on the dirt and grass! Stay off the cement and blacktop! Even gravel hammers your joints. You will thank me later! Once you are in awesome shape, you can go back to the pavement with good running or walking shoes! Keep it up! In the nose, out the mouth! Pain is weakness leaving the body!

I get high as hell from walking or hiking a few miles. My brain must be reminding me of how it operated when I was young and smoking dope in a fox hole.

Was in McAllen, TX yesterday so I decided to check out some running shoes for my tired old feet.  I was shocked!  They aren't only ugly as hell, they are ridiculously expensive.  Not only that, the majority appear to be total crap.  No cushion or arch support. When did running shoes get so bad?  The only shoes that vaguely reminded me of what a running shoe should be were almost $200 or above.

NewBalance has a shoe for every type of foot. Ranger shuffle will get you there with gear just as fast. Running is a bit overrated and harder on your body. Walking is ideal for weight loss and working up. Call up NB and tell them what you are into. They can suggest a shop to fit you or might even be able to set you up over the phone like they did with me. Some of their stuff is made overseas but their US line of products really last and keep my feet happy on the pavement at work all day. When they start to look like crap, they become my personal shoes for home jobs and general screwing around.

• Like 1

^Agree. Already seeing results! Started north of 195, down to 189 after my run this morning. I didn't mention, but I've also made some dietary changes. I've eliminated coke and other soda completely from my diet. I was hitting them very heavily before I started this process, about 3 or 4 per day. Also cut back on crap snacks at work. I'm still eating my meals, just avoiding the bad stuff I know does nothing good for me.

....I've eliminated coke and other soda completely from my diet.....

That will get you 10 pounds right there. Next eliminate processed foods and bread, that's another 10-15.

6-8 pounds will be water fluctuation. Especially at the beginning. After 6 weeks your real weight will show. Plus if you do any weights, (mass building) you may actually gain as muscle weighs more than fat, plateau and then stabilize. Allow three months but by then you will notice your clothes fitting differently.