Mildly amazed S-12 slugs at 100yds

Finally got a day off on a calm day!

Laid the Saiga across my portable shooting bench ( the riding mower lol ) on a sand bag.

It was dead on at 50yds so I backed it up to a laser measured 100yds.

Never had to move the sight nor change my sight pic ( 000 buck showed that at 100yds I had to use the ramp under the front bead to aim, but the slugs were dead on ) a 12" gong and a max spread of about 6". 5 shots total and one of the misses was a trigger jerk on my part, I have no idea what happened to the other missing shot but I have a bad astigmatism and you can see there are some white wildflowers behind the plate so the sight picture was a bit of a challenge!

kp06a.jpg

I don't think I could legitimately ask for more from what is essentially a modern day musket!

A smooth bore, poorly manufactured rattle-trap of an outdated design ( so the nay sayers would have us believe )

I say HAIL KING SAIGA!

• Like 9

Good stuff. I find mine does very well at distance too. I have slug pics at distance, in my gallery.

What ammo were you using?

Nice to see similar results, lets me know it wasn't just a fluke day.

Ammo was Federal F127 RS, rifled slug HP 1610fps.

Trying to work with ammo that's always available and not terribly expensive. I've got several hundred rounds of Fed bulk, will get some of these slugs and am trying to decide on #4 buck( not birdshot ) or 00 buck. Will probly get some 2 or 4 birdshot at some point.

• Like 1

I mounted a cheap red-dot sight on my Saiga and loaded it up with slugs just to see what it could do. A friend and I went to the local range to try them at 50 yards, but that range was full, soooo... we went on over to the nearly empty 100 yd. range, kind of chuckling to ourselves how futile this would be.

WRONG! Took about 5 rounds to get it dialed-in, similar groups to what you have above. Very Nice!  :up:

I would not be disappointed if I had to take a 100 yd. shot at something with "only" my semi-auto shotgun.

Good stuff. I find mine does very well at distance too. I have slug pics at distance, in my gallery.

What ammo were you using?

Nice to see similar results, lets me know it wasn't just a fluke day.

Ammo was Federal F127 RS, rifled slug HP 1610fps.

Trying to work with ammo that's always available and not terribly expensive. I've got several hundred rounds of Fed bulk, will get some of these slugs and am trying to decide on #4 buck( not birdshot ) or 00 buck. Will probly get some 2 or 4 birdshot at some point.

Winchester Super-X #2 Birdshot is pretty fun, kicks like slugs do so you get that nice sting that makes you feel alive.