Ok guys I have a question maybe you can help

I have a dilemma ,my brother in law has informed me he is going to ask his wife to buy him a pistol for Christmas. He wants to get his CCDW . He told me he was going to send his wife to talk to me to help pick one out . I told him I would help her , but they have 3 kids so I know they don't have deep pockets , probably 250.00 to 400.00 . I have mostly Glocks [ don't hate me ok ] and a couple of Sigs . I have looked around a little he wants a 1911 style in 9 MM . I HAVE LOOKED AROUND AND CANT REALLY FIND ANYTHING IN THAT PRICE RANGE [ sorry I am not hollering I am babysitting well I might be hollering , but not at you ]  Have you seen any 9mm pistols in 1911 style for 300 ish . I have seen some Tisas , canicks , and walters not really 1911style ,but he wants a safety ,and he only wants it for personal protection . I know all the colts , sigs , kimbers and everthing else is out of her price range . I WANT HIM TO HAVE SOMETHING RELIABLE FOR FAMILY PROTECTION . I really am kinda stumped so I thought I would ask you guys . I have looked at police trades but can only find them in 40 caliber mostly Smith and Wessons . Yall got any ideas , any ideas would be appreciated . Thanks for your help .

P.S. He doesn't own any pistols as he is not really a gun guy . I have seen some TISAS IN 45 IN  THIER PRICE RANGE , BUT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM .

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=3849&name=Star+Super+B+9mm+Pistol+w%2f+extra+magazine

Like that?

I'd also recommend a Taurus Millenium G2 ~$200 (GREAT pistols for the money!)

Or a Glock Police trade in from an online retailer.

Beware of the Straw purchase, with his wife buying for him.

• Like 2

9mm 1911s are a niche item.  The only ones I've seen in the price range you're talking about are the Star Model B.  They're nice guns but more a collector item than a go-to defensive handgun.

I suggest getting him a Canik TP9V2.  It may not be the gun he thinks he wants but it's the best value 9mm on the market.  Dead reliable, good capacity.

The wife buying for husband is not going to be a problem unless he is a prohibited possessor.  Guns as gifts are not considered straw purchases.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=3849&name=Star+Super+B+9mm+Pistol+w%2f+extra+magazine

Like that?

Like that?

MM, got that right, take the BIL to the gunshop, when pistol arrives or buy directly from the store and do the damn paperwork.

No need to be paranoid.  Buying gifts is FINE.

Correct.

Although some states might have communist dictator anti constitutional rules. Here gifts are good to go with family members even with the new bullshit universal registration scheme recently enacted. I think the point is, know your local laws.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program,

Keep in mind the easier to conceal the more likely he will be to carry every day. Lot of good options out there.

I really like my XDs

• Like 3

Consider the very non expensive somewhat available older Charter Arms .44 special Bulldog revolver.  Five shots.  Single or double action.  About 19 ounces empty, 3.0 inch barrel on mine, about 26 ounces loaded with Winchester Silver Tip 200 grain hollow points. Use low pressure ammo only.  Blue finish.

Accurate enough within 10 yards. About equal maybe to .45 acp.  Very heavy recoil, to me more than a 629 SW Mountain gun .44 mag with standard ammo.  Not for the wimpy limpo wrist.  Can be had for less than $200 in good tight condition.  Mine was made in 1972-4.  Less than 1000 rounds. Excellent for me.

And a Tok is a truly durable tool! Not the most concealable weapon around but not bad either. SCCY makes a very concealable 9mm for under 300 new. keep it clean and serviced with quality ammo and it is a reliable backup.

Respectfully.  Do not take this wrong.  First gun.  No prior experience.  Kids in home.  Wants something not expensive.  Possibly a straw purchase.  Wants a safety.  The warning flags are hoisting.  Just me.  Again, respectfully.  Perhaps a solution is to talk to a good certified handgun instructor and take an intro course? 

He needs to expand his horizons.

There are many great guns in 9mm.

My best advice, have her shoot it first!

Respectfully.  Do not take this wrong.  First gun.  No prior experience.  Kids in home.  Wants something not expensive.  Possibly a straw purchase.  Wants a safety.  The warning flags are hoisting.  Just me.  Again, respectfully.  Perhaps a solution is to talk to a good certified handgun instructor and take an intro course? 

He is my brother in law he asked me to help his wife find him one , his kids are 20 , 17 girls and 12 who is a boy . I am not purchasing the gun she is for him for Christmas , he is not prohibited from purchasing one . I think her budget would be 400 or less and I really don't own any pistols less than 400 , so I am looking for something she can afford , he is planning on taking his CCDW class . He asked me for something dependable that he could trust his life to . Man that's hard as I think about his children . I am going to look at the Canick , and the Tarus G2 , I was trying to get some imput as I really don't no were to start in that price range . It was easy for me Glock 26 [ I know don't hate me ] , but I can keep my booger finger off the bang switch . I think I am going to get him to go to the gun range and rent one with me so he can see what he likes.

Edited by THE NEW GUY

Like that?

It sounds like a "Bona fide gift" to me. She can get the gun for herself, legitimately since her purpose is to have it and use it as she wishes. She wishes to give it to a family member who is presumably able to own a firearm.

Then again, these do make sense. Advising is safe though. What they do is up to them.

Consider the very non expensive somewhat available older Charter Arms .44 special Bulldog revolver.  Five shots.  Single or double action.  About 19 ounces empty, 3.0 inch barrel on mine, about 26 ounces loaded with Winchester Silver Tip 200 grain hollow points. Use low pressure ammo only.  Blue finish.

Accurate enough within 10 yards. About equal maybe to .45 acp.  Very heavy recoil, to me more than a 629 SW Mountain gun .44 mag with standard ammo.  Not for the wimpy limpo wrist.  Can be had for less than $200 in good tight condition.  Mine was made in 1972-4.  Less than 1000 rounds. Excellent for me.

Finding 44 SPL has been tricky the last few years. I've had a few people ask me if I had any brass because they couldn't even find new ammo in stock. I think they resorted to cutting down 44 mag. A 45 ACP revolver does everything 44 SPL does cheaper, and more compactly.

.44 special is available via the usual cowboy shooting outlets.  I think buying a new gun then giving it to somebody as a gift is still considered a straw purchase by the benign august BATFE and is a strict no no.  We must obey our masters.  Maybe a good gun instructor can figure this all out for them.  They have a valid legal need for self protection.  How they go about that is up for various points of view.  Always respectfully.

good call on the grand power. the century arms import one is dirt cheap but has the euro takedown where you have to pull the trigger guard down. This might be a bit of a pain in the ass for someone who does not love or know weapons very well.

full ambi, nuts on accurate and similar function to the 1911 thing he has in his head. good luck!