Hunting with the Saiga 12 - Pros/Cons Video (Russia)

Another video from this guy...

I like how he compares the trajectory to firing a mortar.  biggrin.png

His comments at 3:40 about what appears to be rifling on "rifled slugs" are interesting.  Is this common knowledge or controversial?

His comments at 3:40 about what appears to be rifling on "rifled slugs" are interesting.  Is this common knowledge or controversial?

That's what they are. It's a safety factor built into all conventional slugs because the overwhelming majority of firearm owners are idiots!

That's what they are. It's a safety factor built into all conventional slugs because the overwhelming majority of firearm owners are idiots!

Very accepted, but most companies angle them now just because they sell better to the uninformed/misinformed. Same goes for foster style slugs. They work just as well as straight ribs or as rings. Breneke's classic slug is still straight with a fiber wad and a wood screw into the back of it! It is still a top performer. The modern ones have the plastic wad/tail that snaps in like the video shows. Their swaging ribs are angled for marketing. This is true for any "rifled" slug.

Not just because of idiots. It makes them more versatile and also more accurate. The accuracy is due to the tight alignment to bore, not imparted spin. A loose fitting slug does badly. A slug which must be swaged through the barrel is always a perfect fit.

• Like 1

... Not just because of idiots. It makes them more versatile and also more accurate. The accuracy is due to the tight alignment to bore, not imparted spin. A loose fitting slug does badly. A slug which must be swaged through the barrel is always a perfect fit.

Nice.  I was one of those idiots until today.

I love those moments when you learn something that you should have questioned a long time ago.   Someone told me as a teenager that they were designed to get the slug to spin and I never put any more thought into it. 

For the record, I assumed the idiots he was referring to did not mean people who had a misconception, but rather people who might fire a solid hard cast slug through a tight constriction choke. I was referring to that group of people.

I've got nothing against the ignorant/mis informed. That's a (hopefully) temporary state and certainly we are all ignorant about far more than we can be knowledgeable about.Plus there's that pesky Dunning-Kruger Effect thing.

• Like 1

You call that a video!! An SUG ( Sport Utility Gun ), a hot russian chick and NO bikini? lol

I like his improvised yip sticks, all he needs to take into the field is some twine and a campsaw.

A question about the slug ribs:

Through a tighter bore ( full choke ) would they most likely:

A-increase the seal and increase velocity perhaps increasing accuracy? or

B-deform and decrease accuracy?

They do A. That's what they are there for, and that is the primary difference between the current home rolled slug molds and the ones factory fosters have. This is why factory slugs consistently outshout the home rolled. It is also why the Lyman pellet style slugs are thinner metal at the areas closest to bore contact.

Some people have had custom slug molds machined with annular rings or broached linear ribs. Either seems to work as well. I've also seen tools to take a slug cast with the lyman foster mold and swag ribs into it similar to the shape you would see on a Remington slugger. I have little doubt that it performs well, since factory slugs are swaged from nuggets cut of a lead wire.