feed issue question

I just got a "factory converted" 7.62 the first round is fine then it loads the shell but doesn't push the bolt back far enough to recock the hammer. slides look ok and oiled. first place to look? gas ports gunky? spring?

figured i was ask instead of starting to guess

sad my conversion fires every time on time.....

Thanks

so i fixed the hammer spring which i guess i over looked 3 times but the actual culprit is a pos magpul gen 3 maybe a gen2 magazine. the us palm works fine....not sure why its a problem they both seem to sit about the same i will have to do some research or better yet just get some different magazines

If you have a Kalashnikov USA (RWC) conversion, I believe that they machined the magazine latch down a little too short on a lot of them.  I think they set them up for the US PALM magazine, but you'll have a lot of front/back (up and down) wobble with surplus and other magazines that can cause feeding issues.   You may need to swap out your mag latch if it will only run with the US Palms. 

If you have a Kalashnikov USA (RWC) conversion, I believe that they machined the magazine latch down a little too short on a lot of them.  I think they set them up for the US PALM magazine, but you'll have a lot of front/back (up and down) wobble with surplus and other magazines that can cause feeding issues.   You may need to swap out your mag latch if it will only run with the US Palms. 

Thanks I will have to take a look

you are correct ill have to change out the latch its to short ugh wish i had looked sooner i just placed an order i could have added it on instead of paying shipping twice

You may know what you're doing but if you've never swapped out a mag latch you might want to look into what's involved.
It's not that hard, but it can be a bit frustrating the first time you mess with it.  There are lots of good videos on YouTube and I would suggest checking them out if you've never done this before.

Keep in mind that the pin that holds the latch is flared, so you will probably have to drill it out and replace it.
You'll also need a way to flare the new pin.   You can use a press or a vice/ball bearing combo.  You can even get it done with a ball bearing and a hammer if you're careful and patient.   I would recommend using a piece of packing tape to hold the ball bearing or it will go flying.

There are also other options out there with chicago screw type pins or e-clips if you don't want to bother deforming the pin.

Good luck!

You may know what you're doing but if you've never swapped out a mag latch you might want to look into what's involved.

It's not that hard, but it can be a bit frustrating the first time you mess with it.  There are lots of good videos on YouTube and I would suggest checking them out if you've never done this before.

Keep in mind that the pin that holds the latch is flared, so you will probably have to drill it out and replace it.

You'll also need a way to flare the new pin.   You can use a press or a vice/ball bearing combo.  You can even get it done with a ball bearing and a hammer if you're careful and patient.   I would recommend using a piece of packing tape to hold the ball bearing or it will go flying.

There are also other options out there with chicago screw type pins or e-clips if you don't want to bother deforming the pin.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice I've done some conversion's  but not looked at doing the mag latch yet. I will do some homework before I go down that rd. Are the extended mag latches worth looking in to? Ive never personally held a rifle with the extended mag release so I am unsure if I would like it or not.

I'm not really a big fan of them.   They can get in the way when loading shorter magazines, they are easier to engage accidentally, and there's nothing wrong with the standard mag latches especially if that's what you have practice with.  If you want to go aftermarket and the easy route, you can try the M+M MRL kit.  

M-M-MRL-KIT.jpg

It's a slightly extended release and comes with a little slave pin and e-clip to make installation about as easy as can be with this particular part.   Supposedly the angle at the top of the catch minimizes mag wobble but the jury is still out on that one.

Dinzag makes a user-friendly kit as well, but be prepared to wait a while for him to ship it.   You might want to consider one of his handguard retainers if you're interested in putting classic AK furniture on that Saiga.  If so, it would be smart to order them together.