My Saiga has around 5,000 rounds through it.  The last two times out I have experienced occasional misfires, 1 every 50 rounds.  I was only able to examine one round and it had what looked like a decent primer strike.  I am shooting fairly new manufactured Golden Tiger.  Purchase from SG Ammo about 45 days ago.

What should i be looking at to diagnose the problem?

These are all good suggestions, but it's also very possible that it's the ammo.
I have had five failure to fires out of my recent case of Golden Tiger.   These have been with several different rifles that are otherwise reliable.

On inspection, the primers were set a little bit too far into the case causing light primer strikes.   I have shot a ton of GT and never had problems but this recent case has been problematic. 

As you can see in the photo below, the round on the left did not fire and the primer is inset into the case.
The round on the right fired without issue and is there for comparison.

GT-FTF_zpsvmk8hokp.png

In case you're wondering I've also had this happen with Wolf as well.   This is mass produced ammo and there are bound to be some duds.
You can see the same primer issue in the photo below.

wolf-ftf_zpszuri6f64.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I took the bolt apart and cleaned it thoroughly. I am thinking the was at least part of the problem, since the firing pin was sticky in the bolt.

I replaced the fog with an ALG a few months ago. I replaced the hammer spring at the same time.

I am going to put a few hundred rounds through it tomorrow night.

If the problem repeats, I will chalk it up to the ammo.

• Like 1

What hammer spring did you install?

Don't recall.  It is chrome silicon and had good reviews.

I'll second a dud/weak primer.  I had some "panic era" Wolf that I had 30 FTF in 1K.  As others have said, mass produced ammo will have duds on occasion. 

I usually buy Wolf and haven't had any problems.  I bought 3K round of GT based on its cult status.  haha 

Edited by skifast

What hammer spring did you install?

Don't recall.  It is chrome silicon and had good reviews.

I'll second a dud/weak primer.  I had some "panic era" Wolf that I had 30 FTF in 1K.  As others have said, mass produced ammo will have duds on occasion. 

I usually buy Wolf and haven't had any problems.  I bought 3K round of GT based on its cult status.  haha 

If it's the JTE tuneable hammer spring (which it sounds like this one...http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/AK47_Saiga_JTE_Mainspring_hammer_spring_tromix_p/jte-main-spring.htm), they have been the root of light primer strikes in other peoples AK's before too. Put the factory spring back in it. Try again. Process of elimination.

There is a 'how to' pic somewhere on here, of how to bend the JTE spring for proper function and to get desired tension out of it.

The stock hammer spring is a hard hitter though and it WORKS!

But it could very well be a primer issue like mentioned. I don't have any of the newest GT. I've never had a misfire of any kind from my stock of GT, or from any imported 7.62x39.

Edited by Mullet Man

Recently had some PMC 30-06 hunting rounds I picked up for a " great price" that FTF two or three per box of twenty.

I pulled the rest down (five boxes) and found two or three primers per box missing the anvil. Who'd a thunk it?