I would like to purchase a rifle either in 7mm or 300 win  I am eyeballin 2 Howa's 7mm 466.00 + tax or 300 win 528.00 + tax at Buds gun shop ,  both these come with a base rings and scope , I will replace the scope . I would like to go elk hunting in the next 5 to 10 years as I am saving 100.00 a month for it  and I can't decide which one . I know  7mm has 25% less recoil and is flatter shooting , but everyone I talk to tells me 300 win has more whoompf . I value your opinions so you tell me what you think . I wont use it that much as I have other rifles to hunt deer 270/308 and we don't have many elk here [ lottery drawing for a tag  ] and I will have to travel out if state probably to hunt.

• Like 1

Will this be your first magnum rifle?

Will you be able to spend enough range time with it to be quick and accurate when that hard earned monster elk finally gets in your sights?

I would go for the 7mm, for both reasons given, recoil and ballistics.

You'll be apt to spend more range time shooting the 7mm and thus be much more comfortable and accurate with the rifle.

You'll not want to shoot the .300 a lot due to ammo costs and your shoulder.

The .270 or .308 will take anything on four legs on the North American continent.

The right bullet in the right place and their tail is in the dirt.

I just recently made a similar decision on a new big game hunting rifle.

Made it a point to avoid to avoid a magnum, wanted something I will shoot more than half a dozen shots a year.

Ended up sticking with .308 since I already had two rifles chambered in it and as not to increase my caliber count.

Its a caliber I shoot for both hunting and target/fun and it is comfortable to shoot.

• Like 1

Yes an 06 will take any NA game with a good shot.  I choose to use a magnum because sometimes shots are not perfect.  If I have an animal quartering away I want the deeper penetration of the magnum.

I've only shot 3 elk but all 3 were with magnums and none of the premium hunting bullets passed all the way through.  And none went more than 50yds after being hit.

I am hoping to add a 4th elk in about a month.

Using an 06 isn't wrong, it just isn't my choice.  It is an argument that will go on as long as there are hunters and guns.

• Like 1

I have a 7mm Rem Mag, great shooting rifle, cast and reload for it as well.

I do not hunt with it, would like to but no time, great range toy for now.

Being left handed it gets lots of looks at the range.

post-37682-0-92795200-1446355703_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Either will do fine. Just make sure you practice a bunch before you go hunting. You have years to practice with it and prove it. If you are hunting in my area, I would suggest the 300 since you can drop a grizzly with it and get longer more deadly hits on an elk. If you were down it dillon shooting fish in a barrel, a 270 would do find and you wont encounter many bear.

Consider your rings, scope and case. The Howa is a pretty accurate rifle but you will be traveling with it so a good case, rings and scope will make it much easier on you when you sight in after you land.

Good luck!