Saiga SBS Declared DD Tax Stamp Costs? ...

Say you have a NFA tax stamped SBS Saiga 12.  Then your SBS is declared a DD.  Destructive Device.  Is there an additional $200 tax stamp added to the already tax stamped S12 SBS?  Would it then be a total of two stamps?  Would any additional NFA restrictions then apply?  Thanks.

Not making a legal determination here or anything, but I believe that DD trumps other categories. i.e. if you have a 40mm rifled grenade launcher it is under 16" and no one cares. If you have an AOW, barrel length is irrelevant too.

• Like 1

Yeah and I understand that but it gets even worserer.  What this may mean is that if a SBS S12 gets DDed, then the SBS stamp is not relevant any longer and the DD tax stamp would hold sway.  Say the S12 gets DDed then would certain 12 gage ammo also fall under possible restrictions like live various DD ammo?  Things like bird bombs, dragons breath, whistlers, flares, etc.. Special handling and storage?  Just trying to conduct some long term low probability thinking here.  Thank you.

previously they've had to give free tax stamps to avoid ex-post facto legislation conflicts and also because of the takings clause. All those guys with the USAS-12s got free stamps if they wanted them. Ditto for the street sweepers. You will rarely see an 18" street sweeper 'cause once they became DD, there was no reason not to chop.

• Like 1

Thank you all. Out and up here in SW OR USA we still can have NFA stuff.  At least for now.  Sad political situation.  Demos have a super majority in both state houses plus we have a queer queen bitch commie governor and that is being kind to her or it.

Enter the free tax stamp if Saiga 12's are made DD like other less nasty or interesting stuff which already has been DD's like the Streetsweeper revolver shotgun.  Kinda a non intended consequence?  If Saiga 12's are made DD's, then not just SBS it also like said?

Again, I know I am paranoid ... the question is am I paranoid enough?  Just me here but I think there is at least a good one in three chance, (33%) that President Obama will DD the S12 and others.  What about the many states not allowing DD's?  Will they give up their S12s?

What will THAT do to S12 shotgun values?  You can see where this is headed.  Trying to decide about downsizing particular firearms.  Thus this discussion.  We also are brain storming possible Obama executive odors and their various impacts upon the all of us.  Thank you.

• 1 year later...

No it's an amnisty registration free for all. You get a free registration as a DD and the barrel length doesn't matter anymore. If it happens send in the paperwork and chop the barrel to 12in

The problem is some states don't allow DD. You have to sell or turn in.

Those people wanting an AA12 though should take a close look at the USAS. It may be worth the stamp to you.