Just Stay

A nurse took the tired, anxious serviceman to the bedside.

"Your son is here," she said to the old man.

She had to repeat the words several times before the patient's eyes opened.

Heavily sedated because of the pain of his heart attack, he dimly saw the young uniformed Marine standing outside the oxygen tent. He reached out his hand.  The Marine wrapped his toughened fingers around the old man's limp ones, squeezing a message of love and encouragement.

The nurse brought a chair so that the Marine could sit beside the bed. All through the night the young Marine sat there in the poorly lighted ward, holding the old man's hand and offering him words of love and strength.  Occasionally, the nurse suggested that the Marine move away and rest awhile.

He refused. Whenever the nurse came into the ward, the Marine was oblivious of her and of the night noises of the hospital - the clanking of the oxygen tank, the laughter of the night staff members exchanging greetings, the cries and moans of the other patients.
Now and then she heard him say a few gentle words. The dying man said nothing, only held tightly to his son all through the night.

Along towards dawn, the old man died. The Marine released the now lifeless hand he had been holding and went to tell the nurse. While she did what she had to do, he waited.

Finally, she returned. She started to offer words of sympathy, but the Marine interrupted her.

"Who was that man?" he asked.

The nurse was startled, "He was your father," she answered.

"No, he wasn't," the Marine replied. "I never saw him before in my life."

"Then why didn't you say something when I took you to him?"

"I knew right away there had been a mistake,

but I also knew he needed his son, and his
son just wasn't here.

When I realized that he was too sick to tell whether or not I was his son, knowing how much he needed me, I stayed."
I came here tonight to find a Mr. William Grey.
His son was Killed in Iraq today, and I was sent to inform him. What was this Gentleman's Name?

The Nurse with Tears in
   Her Eyes Answered,

Mr. William Grey.............

The next time someone needs you ... just be there.  Stay.

WE ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS GOING THROUGH A
TEMPORARY SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE.

WE ARE SPIRITUAL BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY HUMAN EXPERIENCE.

(love this line)

• Like 16

Damn Patriot, great post!

It got a little dusty in the room......

Yep.... Ditto.

Makes me think of my old pappy.

He's about to the end of it right now. I can't be there every day and I know he's feeling pretty lonely.

• Like 2

Damn Patriot, great post!

It got a little dusty in the room......

Yep.... Ditto.

Makes me think of my old pappy.

He's about to the end of it right now. I can't be there every day and I know he's feeling pretty lonely.

Been there long shot and I feel for you. If your old man is anything like mine was he understands your first priority is to your wife and kids and he's proud of you for that.

Prayers out to you and your Dad.

• Like 4

some people just cant stand it and have to make fact or fiction of everything. Some stories dont need to be proved or disproved. They are about morals and emotions. its about that inner you and how it speaks to you.

• Like 3

some people just cant stand it and have to make fact or fiction of everything. Some stories dont need to be proved or disproved. They are about morals and emotions. its about that inner you and how it speaks to you.

Some people can't be bothered to take the time to seek out true stories of morality, and instead make shit up to play on people's emotions.  In this case, whoever started passing it around couldn't even be bothered to make up their own story; they ripped off somebody else's great story, and tried to pass it off as truth.  Here's a good true tale of heroism and self-sacrifice that I saw posted to another group:

And it's only one of many.  It doesn't take much effort to seek them out.

Edit to add...  I have no issue with the OP or anyone who likes the "Just Stay" story; he probably got it in a chain email at some point or saw where it had been passed along on a forum.  It's one of those stories that you want to be true.  I don't have any issue with the guy who originally wrote it, either, since it is a great example of the writer's craft.  My only problem is with the people who originate false stories, pass fiction off as truth, or embellish otherwise true stories to make them fit some agenda.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

I never thought the story was true.

It was the concept of the story that made me tear up.

Sone times people just need that. There isn't always a story or event right in plain sight. Its good to be reminded true or not.

Eta: And BTW. If you dig a little bit. You will find that the majority of the haox and snoops sites are typicaly incorrect as well.

It's the internet. Anyone can make a claim that can't necessarily be proven or disproven.

Edited by Chevyman097

Some of the most meaningful literary works are in fact works of fiction.

Factual accuracy is not a prerequisite for a good story where no claim of being factual exists.

Exactly.

Now, does anyone have another to CONTRIBUTE to this thread?

• Like 1
Eta: And BTW. If you dig a little bit. You will find that the majority of the haox and snoops sites are typicaly incorrect as well.

It's the internet. Anyone can make a claim that can't necessarily be proven or disproven.

Oh, absolutely.  Snopes in particular is run by a couple of libs and is so far up the DNC's bunghole that you can't rely on them for anything political or controversial.  But for stuff like most chain e-mails they are OK for the most part.  Especially when they tell you what issue of Reader's Digest you can go to if you want to look up the original story.  lmao.gif