28 inch rifled barrels?

Right off the bat, I'll clarify that I'm not asking about barrel blanks or straight up replacement barrels for the S12, I realize those don't really exist.

I've had an idea for a build that I've wanted to do for a while now, and with my current situation I have access to lathes, mills, welders and all sorts of refinishing set ups. So I could get a barrel for something else and machine it for the S12. I've been browsing around google and gunbroker.com for a few weeks now looking for take off barrels from pumps, semi autos and single shot break opens, and they all seem to only come rifled at a max of 24 inches. When you get to 28 inches they're all smooth bore. Does anyone know of a brand or model that someone can find a 28 inch rifled barrel? Not necessarily wanting to buy a whole new gun to get it, but if the price is right I wouldn't be against it.

Edited by Goose
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't either, but why you hung up on 28? Seems to me someone posted that the velocity gains from longer barrel just don't offset the added cumbersome-ness of teh gun. I mean I'm not tellin ya not to, it's your dream!

My buddy at work would say, we have to do anything, even if it's wrong! Meaning action trumps in action every time, so may I encourage you to just go for the 24" and make this plan a reality so we can all benefit from the info that you can share in the process?!

Godspeed!!!

Ever since that episode of Sons of Guns long ago where I first heard of a rifled barrel for the S12, I've been not quite obsessed, but still pretty occupied with the idea of building an SVD look-alike off of one. Scope, bipod, sights, flash hider, bayonet... I've had people poo poo a little on my idea because of how much custom fitting and making of specialty parts there will be, but I still cant help myself. I keep picturing going to the range or going after some pigs with 3inch Hornady or Remington slugs and seeing those big-ass holes appear through that PSO scope...

Sorry I needed a minute... But yeah, maybe a 24 would work fine, I have trouble imanining things without a visual, but somehow I feel that the thicker 12 ga barrel might make the scale seem a bit off, I thought a longer barrel might offset that and look more natural. But the only thing I seem to be able to come up with is 700 dollar replacement barrels for single shot guns. Too much for something I'm going to turn down and use as a show piece (I'm in a gunsmithing program right now, I try to over-do whatever I can for portfolio purposes) and a range toy.