I have an unassembled M85 Krink kit that I will be having built. Was going to pin and weld a fake suppressor on it to bring it to over 16" barrel length. I am planning on putting an under folding stock on it. Best math on the measurement of overall length with the stock folded is 25 1/2" from muzzle (end of pinned fake suppressor) to the rear of the reciever. Is there a minimum length it has to maintain while folded to still be a legal rifle?

• 4 weeks later...

Also it is my understanding that the barrel extension or long flash hider must be attached in a particular way with a particular method to prevent same from easily or ever coming off.  Also remember that once on it is on for good.  Sometimes the drilling, blind pinning and spot welding does bad things to the crown area of the barrel.  Over zealous installations can also slightly crush the bore diameter.  All of this is not good for accuracy.  You muzzle velocity would also be reduced and the accuracy perhaps only so so.  Your decision.

Edit;  In addition, if for whatever reason your build is slightly short of the 26 inch overall minimum length if you add a recoil pad to bring the overall length up to pass BATFE august judgement, it also must be installed where it can not come off.  Yikes!

Edited by HB of CJ
  • 2 weeks later...

Also it is my understanding that the barrel extension or long flash hider must be attached in a particular way with a particular method to prevent same from easily or ever coming off.  Also remember that once on it is on for good.  Sometimes the drilling, blind pinning and spot welding does bad things to the crown area of the barrel.  Over zealous installations can also slightly crush the bore diameter.  All of this is not good for accuracy.  You muzzle velocity would also be reduced and the accuracy perhaps only so so.  Your decision.

Yeah, ATF publishes an NFA guide book where they spell out the "approved" methods for permanently attaching a muzzle device or barrel extension.  Going from memory, there are blind pinning, high temperature silver solder, and welding.  There are specific requirements for each method that have to be followed in order to stay legal.

Assuming the ATF doesn't reverse itself.

True since we all know that they'd never change their minds on something. (Sigbrace)

Now if we could get them to remove suppressors from the NFA...

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/asa-announces-hearing-protection-act-a-bill-to-remove-suppressors-from-the-nfa/