Back in SAIGA Town,"  so I thought I would stop by.  Haven't been on the forum in a year or two, because I strayed from the one true path of the Saiga.  Started on the board about 2007 or 2008 (back in the old days). Not  sure who is still around from those days, except Chilli Rellano!

I have had about 6 or 7 Saigas through the years in 7.62x39 and 223..  All ended up "restored" to intended condition with pistols grips, etc.  Problem is, I'll build them, and someone would love them so much, they would offer me stipid amount of money for them.

Living in Californication, I have to run "featureless" (no pistol grip, no flash hider, or no collapsible/folding stock) in order to use high capacity magazines.  M1 Carbine and Mini-14s (both of which I have) are good examples of featureless weapons.  Most recently I had a Romanian AL, but hated the bullet button and 10 round restrictions, and also hated the grip paddle that lets me use 30 rounders.  So, I traded it for a New in the Box Saiga IZ132.  I'll do just enough 922R and a bullet guide  to use my high-caps.

Here are some of my prior Saiga builds:  A couple are missing, though, including a faux-Galil (with wire folding stock, instead) I did.

First effort:

HGSaiga1.jpg

Then turned into this:

Saiga1.jpg

Next up:

SaigaConv1.jpg

Then this:

DSC03694.jpg

Another:

RetroSaiga.jpg

THis:

Saiga5.jpg

Last one I did:

s-1_zpsvctzqrd0.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1

Hey Chili, How's it going?  I see Greg M1 and Nailbomb are still active, but looks like Boomstick, Dieb4Iwake haven't been around for 6 months, and Uncle jke for a year and a half.

My IZ132 is in 10 day jail today.  I am going to replicate a Saiga I did that was semi-stock about 18 months ago.  I'll use a standard gas tube with top handguard, and a factory bottom handguard rebated to accommodate the standard gas tube.  I will also thread 14x1mmL for a Tri-delta Com brake.  I'll leave the stock alone, but replace the factory FCG with a Tapco I will modify.  I will also add a bullet guide and trim the mag catch.

Here is that one.  This one will be an exact duplicate.

Saigaredeux1_zpse18cb877.jpg

Saigaredeux2_zpsc1256031.jpg

In Californistan, a semi-automatic rifle with evil features (pistol grip, flash hider, front grip, grenade launcher, or collapsible stock) are limited to magazines of 10 rounds or less, permanently attached to the weapon, only removable with a tool (i.e. bullet button or radlock).  If they have no evil feature (Featureless) like Mini-14s, M1 Carbine, stock saigas, Kel Tec SU16, etc. they can use high capacity magazines, IF you possessed the legally, in California, prior to 1-1-2000 ban.  So running the saiga featureless like my Min-14 and my M1 Carbine, I can use my pre-2000 high-caps. 

Here is where I'm at so far, polished up the carrier the other day. All I want to do is swap out the FSB with one that has threads and a bayonet lug.

Could someone tell me if this FSB would work for me https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-167B.html

Nice Job!

• Like 1