Mounting scope on dust cover

Dust cover mounts are an exercise in frustration.  It is impossible to keep it zeroed.  Use either a low-rise Midwest Industries mount, which is just above the cover, or a Scout type mount with a gas tube with rail attached.  I have a Tasco Accu-Dot red dot shotgun scope on a Midwest mount, and it holds zero perfectly, even when removing and replacing.  One problem with gas tube mounts is that they "cook" your red dot, especially cheap ones, if you do long range sessions and build up heat.

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1

Remember that with a tube-style red dot the further forward you mount it the less FOV you have through it. You can have both eyes open to see the general direction of the target (scout scope style) but generally you want reflex (open) red dots for extreme front mounting. QD mount would probably be best for your application.

• Like 1

I don't co-witness on my saiga or on my 582 Series Mini-14.  I either use irons or pop on the red dot.  When I had an M4gery build, I did co-winess, but the AR platform is much more suited for a co-witness set up than AKs or Minis, etc.

Saigaredeux1_zpse18cb877.jpg

mini-rd_zpsjlz1iers.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster

I don't co-witness on my saiga or on my 582 Series Mini-14. I either use irons or pop on the red dot. When I had an M4gery build, I did co-winess, but the AR platform is much more suited for a co-witness set up than AKs or Minis, etc.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/Saigaredeux1_zpse18cb877.jpg]

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/imarangemaster/mini-rd_zpsjlz1iers.jpg[/i

]

It depends on what red dot and mount you use on the AK. The AR is obviously easier but it's not difficult by any means with an AK.

the AKARS looks like the same setup i have with the chaos dust cover rail? 

I don't recall what Chaos setup you have? I didn't think they made one like the TWS or AKARS? Those two styles replace the entire top cover and rear sight leaf. They both hinge off the rear sight leaf position and have built in "tensioners" to retain zero.

If you want to try a side mount, RS Regulate mounts (300 series with the short picatinny top piece) all the way! It will be the lowest most versatile QD side mount option available.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

uses the the rear right pin, lock to the guide rod button, and have screw in tensioners

That's not the same. Close but different mounting. (you still have your rear sight leaf in place with the Chaos rail installed?) I don't know much about the Chaos setup, doesn't seem to be a lot of info out on it. They have some really crappy pics on their site too. I'm not gonna tell you one way or the other about replacing it, that's up to you.

All depends on what you want to spend the money on. An RS side mount setup will cost about the same as that Chaos piece. AKARs is about $120/$130 last time I looked at one. AKARS will be a lower mount then an RS side mount, or that Chaos piece, since the rail is basically part of the top cover.

The SPARC by design limits how low it's going to be on an AK. It just is what it is. I had one on my V12 (moved it to an AR) which is basically the same style rail as the AKARs. It was low enough to have a solid cheek weld but not low enough for lower 1/3 co-witness.

Edited by Mullet Man

i apologize for the photo angles, first two identify the connection to the pin at rear site, third at rear connection, fourth is a little hard to make out but there are several "set screws" that adjust from chaos to dust cover(one is missing)

post-46575-0-73520000-1448056745_thumb.jpg

post-46575-0-42283400-1448056777_thumb.jpg

post-46575-0-14415700-1448056811_thumb.jpg

post-46575-0-03511400-1448056844_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike456

best advantage of the chaos rail is it is atached to the gas tube lock. that alows you to keep the factory irons, but also alows it to be removed from the rifle with the removal of one pin for cleaning, etc. im a few hundred rounds through my chaos and strikefire and have not seen an issue with zero yet.granted that is not a conprehensive training course hard use long term test, but so far im happy with the results. a side rail is going to be more repeatable and sturdy, just by the nature of the design. all 3 of the main topcover designs, chaos, tws akars have strengths and weaknesses.