I see some really nice gun safe lighting kits online but they are outrageously priced.  I want to get some LED strip lighting and hook up a motion sensor with timers, thats only about $40 compared to $150+ online.

I have the idea figured out how I want to do it (see diagram) but I'm not sure where I would tie in the motion sensor.  I could probably just get 2 and keep it all separate like how the wiring is before it in the circuit but one would be nice.

post-50726-0-14158600-1448238492.png

I have 2 separate timers so I can automatically have red light at night and have white light during the day.  I'm also not sure if I want a motion sensor or a pressure switch for the door.

Plug both timers into a power strip and you'll need a motion sensor after each timer as well.

The timers must always have power or they won't run at all.

>>but I'm not sure where I would tie in the motion sensor

The motion sensor goes after the timer, before the light. You can't do one motion sensor since the timer

will be cutting off power for part of the day. If the timer output power is off, so is the motion sensor.

Assuming both timers are set correctly and don't fail, you'll only get one light depending on the time of day.

You may have a few minutes of overlap where both lights (or no lights) come on sometimes. It depends on

how close you have the hand off time from one to the other and if they both keep time at the same speed.

Edit:

An alternative to this would be to put the red light on a pressure switch and the white light on timer/motion.

Day time you get both lights, night time only red. That's more reliable for night time light (no timer or motion).

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

Are you just looking for them to turn on when the door opens to the safe?  If so I would go with pressure switches.  But I would got DC if you can.

You haven't seen any war movies where they use red light at night have you?   :)

He doesn't want white light at night.

• Like 1

I'm cheap. I would just get a double AA battery light source and place it with self adhesive on the wall of my safe.

That's what I use, 6, AA powered motion sensor lights velcroed through out the safe. Wish I could find them powered by cr123's, for the excellent battery life and superior voltage leakage protection. I don't like the idea of running a 120v source into the safe, for fire reasons.

Go 12Volt DC. For red/white light use one timer, and a relay. White light if relay is not energized, red light if timer energizes the relay.

You need to use magnetic proximity switches, contact switches are unrelable.

When do you want the motion detecter to controll the lighting? if you want the motion detector to control both lights (no light when motion is NOT detected) then the detector goes in the feed to the relay. I would recommend a switch in parallel with the detector so you can turn the light on when you want it to stay on.

I thought of the relay too, but I think he wants a simple plug and play kind of thing.

I agree on the magnetic switches being more reliable.

OP:

Make sure you solder all switch and custom wiring connections, no twist it up and tape it crap.

It will not be reliable with unreliable connections.

Edited by Spartacus

Going LED battery setup is probably better than wired. I wouldn't trust the wired for a lot of reasons not to mention it will require an opening to the safe which will lead to additional damage inside in the case of a fire. LEDs run on less power, require no outside source if you put it together right and come in all variety of colors. You could create a really good setup with minimal risk using one. Just giving another option

• Like 1