454 casull brass loaded to 45 colt specs in a 45 colt chambered Rossi

D35C649B-A7B9-4586-96E0-81C34A007AE2_zps

I have this Rossi I just trades for but not a lot of brass. Is there a forcing cone Etc that would cause pressures to rise if I used 454 brass as well? I chambered a spent casing as noted in this pic. Rossi makes a 454 buiuuuuut, that's kinda irrelevant.

I have this Rossi I just trades for but not a lot of brass. Is there a forcing cone Etc that would cause pressures to rise if I used 454 brass as well? I chambered a spent casing as noted in this pic. Rossi makes a 454 buiuuuuut, that's kinda irrelevant.

57C05E74-1168-4495-ACF7-5785DC2C9C5E_zps

Edited by saltydecimator

You'll need to trim those cases to 1.285" if you want to use them in 45 Colt.

45 Colt brass MAX case length is 1.285" 454 Casull brass is 1.381". DON'T fire a case that's too long. That's a good way to get a bolt in your face.

Stay within 45 Colt pressures when loading too. Start at the BOTTOM of the chart, use PISTOL primers, and watch for pressure signs. That 454 case may have a thicker web, reducing case volume, and thus raising pressure.

Here's a good article on the 454.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammunition_st_454casull_200905/

• Like 1

Midway has 45 Colt brass at a good price.

I have 45 Colts and a 45 Win Mag. They look almost identical except for the rim. I don't take them both to the range at the same time to avoid blowing up my 45 Colts, and me.

• Like 1

I was wondering what these projectiles wherefore? So this caliber can be used in a 45 Colt & 454 Casual? Any others? Can it be used in a 45 ACP? same diameter right? Thanks

st_454casull_200905-d.jpg

There is some 300 gr 45 Colt data out there for stronger guns.

Same dia. as 45 ACP, but 300gr is too long and heavy.

454, HEAVY 45 Colt and maybe 45 WinMag are the ones I know can use this bullet.

• Like 1

psst guys. Checkout ammobrasstrader.com.org.whatever  ---google it.  Best way to get the brass you want, cheap. Looking for 8.76 weimaraner belted semi-rimed? There's a guy trying to trade or sell it. 

SALTY,

I HAVE ONE OF THE STAINLESS ROSSI'S IN .454, AND ITS THE SHITS.

I LOAD THE BARNES ALL-COPPER XPB 225GR. OVER A GOOD CHARGE OF H110.

I BELIEVE THEY HAVE RECENTLY COME OUT WITH A 200GR'R ALSO.

GIVE THAT A TRY OVER A .45LC APPROPRIATE LOAD OF H110.

BEING ALL COPPER, THERE'S NO FEAR OF JACKET/CORE SEPARATION, AND IT'S GOT A HOLLOW POINT THAT YOU CAN ROLL A BB AROUND IN, NO SHIT.

JESS1344

That ammo brass swap forum is anooooooooying! was that a for real +1 on them?

Yeah. I used them for a few swaps. It was pretty straight forward and I got really good deals on stuff that is normally common but was very hard to find for sale from store fronts at the time. It has been close to a year now since my last trade on there, but I was really pleased to find it at the time. Also it was really clear that if you needed something unusual, it is probably your best bet.