I am not a gunsmith.  I say that with no reservations.  I have an M+M M10.  As some of you know it has a funky front sight/gas block combo.  In reality it shortens the sight radius by a good six or so inches.  I have a local gunsmith/gun store that is ok..Not great, and i have heard a few horror stories but not really bad either.  My question is two fold.  How hard is it to swap out the gas block and sight post combo for a more traditional set up?  Or should I just keep it and continue to run optics.  I do like the idea of a longer sight radius and if I put in a new set up I can have the bayonet lug and cleaning rod set up put on her.

The GB/FSB setup makes it a slightly more desirable rifle, IMHO.

Between the cost of parts and labor, I would leave it alone.

It's a rarer profile.

As long as you can hit man-size targets at 100 yards, that six inches should not matter.

Good luck!

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

The Romanian combo block uses a 45-degree port, and will require an AKM type gas block. Since the gas port on the 45-deg blocks is typically drilled through the block and barrel as an assembly, the gas port in the barrel may not line up with the port in the replacement gas block. If they are close enough it won't be a problem, but if they're not, the gas block will need to be carefully reamed/drilled to match the port in the barrel. 

The M10 should take a standard AKM FSB, but I don't know if the step-down machining has been done on the barrel to bring it down to the proper .571" diameter required for press fit of the AKM FSB. If you have a pair of calipers you can find that out. It should step down to .571" about 1-1/2" to 2" back from the muzzle.

EDIT: I looked up a few images of the M10 and it looks like it has the proper step down at the muzzle for the FSB, but you should still double check.

Edited by mancat