Wife and I are visiting family in e. Oregon for Thanksgiving. It snowed about 10" here Tuesday and the roads have all been a solid sheet of ice since then.

So this morning we drive into town to go to the grocery store. Several new trucks in the ditch, road is still nasty, so I and everyone else us driving slowly.

On the last long stretch of road into town, I see this bro truck come flying up behind me in the rear view mirror. He's already in the other Lane, he blows past me and several other cars doing almost 60mph on the ice, fishtails slightly, then pulls in behind another car and tailgates them until they come to a T-stop that intersects with the main road. The cat waits too long to turn, and he actually guns it out to the opposite lane to get around the car, and turns right into traffic in front of the car still sitting at the stop.

Sure enough the truck pulls into the grocery store. I was passed off and pull in next to him, get out, and start running my mouth at him.. Maybe not the wisest choice. Tell him I have my toddler in the car with me and he could've killed us if he lost control trying to pass on an icy road like an Fing douchebag. He just says OK and quickly walks away from me and into the store.

When we come out of the store, his truck is gone, but as soon as I pull out of the parking lot I see him waiting on a cross road, and he pulls out several cars behind us, and follows. At one point he guns it past us via a shortcut, gets right in front of me, and slows to 5mph.

He drives at 5mph for nearly 10 minutes, trying to get me to pass him. Multiple cars end up passing us on the ice. He keeps looking back at me in his side mirror, and I can now see he has two young kids, a dog, and a woman in the truck with him.

The only time he speeds up is when sheriff drives by. At one point, he turns ahead of us at our last turn to wife's grandparents house, which is at the bottom of a long icy hill that requires a lot of care to get down. He gets down to the bottom of the hill, and just stops in the road, trying to block me or something.

Instead I just turn off a side road so that he doesn't see where the house is. When I turn around, he's gone.

What kind of asshole plays those kind of games with his kids in his car? How did he know I wasn't a fucking psycho that wouldn't put a few 9mm holes through his rear window once I felt angry enough?

The 5mph shit didn't even bother me that much, I was in no hurry. Just don't get how someone can drive like that and put their family in danger.

By the same coin I may have done exactly that by running my mouth. I rarely lose my temper except when people nearly kill me or others on the road with aggressive driving.

• Like 3

I have been thinking about dashcam when I get a newer vehicle. Wife actually pulled out her phone and recorded the whole thing in case he did anything stupid.

The whole time I can see his son (maybe 6-8 yo) looking back at us and giggling. Little douchebags in training.

P. S. he did have a flat brim hat

• Like 2

Wow.  Holiday road rage big time complete with captive terrified family scared completely out of their wits.  Kids is gonna get a whippin and momma a slappin when they get home.  If they get home.  Then more booze.  Do not ask me how I know all of this to be true.

We can not take things back again and turn the clock back 69 years.  All we can do is perhaps, (perhaps) successfully protect our family from such ass holes.  Perhaps what I would have done is immediately called it in and try to break contact with the guy.  Too much family to save.

Edit try the second time by HB as the first edit did not post.  Were you an asshole?  No.  He was.  What I would have done is probably not have driven on those roads at all to begin with.  If I had to drive, I would probably just my big mouth (mine) shut and not make things worserer.  Just me.

Edited by HB of CJ

It used to get my blood boiling when some shitstain would scare me on the road. Especially with my kids in the car. Never once found escalating to be helpful. No to say I haven't tried a few times. That never seems to end well.

I couldn't give a rats flea bitten scrotum what happens to them now as long as they don't make contact with my vehicle or force me into some situation.

• Like 4

Testosterone fueled rage.

He's out to prove to the world that's he's the alpha male in town and you better not challenge him.

I understand the urge to say something to him, but confronting him is exactly what can push these types of guys right over the edge.

You can almost read his personality by his aggressive driving style.

Best thing to do is call the cops and leave him alone.

• Like 4

You're not an asshole for pointing out the obvious. However you are a target for such a dip shit  when you do.

Guy was clearly a little bitch who felt like a bad ass when he was hiding in his truck, with no regard for his safety of his kids... I suppose the same argument could me made about you for opening your mouth, though I hate to let anybody say that violence should excused because the victim exercised his freedom of speech.

• Like 5

I think confronting was reasonable. Tone probably not. Filming is a good idea, and just letting the douche get it out of his system. A lot of people will correct their behavior once they realize they are on camera. Odds are you have a video camera in your pocket...

If a person goes out of their way to harass you, having a gun ready to hand out of their sight and the camera in their sight is a good way to diffuse the situation.

Others have said above that his actions are self- correcting, but they aren't quite right. Dangerous fools take plenty of others with them, and confronting/ reporting them is necessary and just.

• Like 2

This is why I still drive a 20+ year old F-150, damned thing is a tank that has already eaten 3 cars with dumbassed drivers.

Yep they hit me and their cars were totaled. Going to start painting little cars on the front quarter panel , two more and we is an ace.

The tank just shrugs it off takes the dents and keeps going.  The rear bumper (heh more like a cow catcher) has been straightened twice and still looks fine.

When my wife is on the road I dont worry about 90% of the traffic out there being much of a threat.

No you were not an ass just angry and with plenty of reason. You just let your anger override caution, that bastid is crazy just be glad nothing came of it for you.

If you feel civic minded get the tag and description then call it in to the state popo. That or a a nice five inch blade in a sidewall .. then just drive away.

• Like 3

I will add that not saying anything is a lot harder to do in the heat of the moment.

Very happy that you lost the troll and family is good.

I have been very good about saying nothing to morons most of my life, but since having a son I find myself losing my shit whenever I feel someone has endangered my family.

The thing that annoys me the most about the whole thing is the guy said one word to me ("OK") when confronted, and walked away. As soon as he was safe inside his truck, he was free to be an asshole again.

On my experience on these type of people, if I had been less confrontational about it - e.g. "hey did you really have to pass us on the ice? that's dangerous" - rather than swearing at him right out of the gates, THEN he probably would have tried to pick a fight with me.

I don't really like to fight, that is not my goal... I've rarely had to do it through life simply due to my size and appearance. But I do need to work on not losing my temper when my family is involved, that is just as dangerous as a reckless driver.

• Like 4

I'm much less likely to confront someone directly, than I used to be (20 years ago).

Of course, I'm 20 years older now, and wiser.

I beat up several bullies in public school, once I hit a breaking point.

Those are some of my best memories.

Knocking a much bigger guy to the floor, in 8th grade, with a stack of hard books, in front of the class, is my favorite! :)

The teacher walked in as he was pulling himself off the floor.

(Rambling)

You don't have history with random strangers on the road.

DO NOT put yourself (and your family, if they loose you) at risk.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

People try to get me going all the time on the road.I drive in Charlotte rush hour traffic every day...bunch idiots on the roads here.I found after they honk, give u the bird, tailgate whatever to get your attention just blow them a kiss and wink at them...they will go totally balistic....lol

• Like 1

There's a show called "What would you do" with John Quinones that puts everyday people in situations quite like yourself mancat that's well worth watching. As far as I'm concerned, you took the high road and made an attempt to do the right thing in a world of unstable jackasses. I'm going to share part of a story below that recently happened just miles from where I live. It hit home a bit hard as I have two daughters about the same age group and years apart as the ones in the story. Road Rage for 8 miles in a populated area against two young girls. If one brave person could have intervened it could have prevented a senseless death of a young woman. At the risk of quoting a movie... there are wolves, there are sheep, and then there's the sheep dog. When situations occur it's our personal choice to decide where we want to be.

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KSDK) –"She was a beautiful girl, inside and out," Robert Redd said.

Redd's daughter, 21-year-old Amber Redd, was with her 16-year-old sister Madison on Sunday when they were in a terrible car crash. They were driving on I-70 from Mid-Rivers Mall to Wentzville when there was allegedly an incident with another driver.

"And for almost 8 miles, it was road rage on a grand scale", Redd said.

Amber's parents got word that there was a crash and they rushed to Mercy Hospital.

"When we walked in and they're shocking her, and we're screaming at our daughter, fight to live we love you," an emotional Redd recalled.

Amber didn't make it, her sister Madison survived with only minor injuries. The driver of the other car just kept on going.

• Like 2

6500rpm, my wife had a crazy woman follow her a good distance around our small peninsula community, after my wife accidentally cut her off on a turn. Woman tailgated her, flashing her lights, trying to pass her on curves, etc. She finally called me, totally hysterical, and wanted me to get in the truck and come intercept her. She literally had no idea what to do and was freaking out. I told her to drive to the fire station, but in her panic she forgot how to even get there. Eventually the woman gave up and took a turn after she had looped around the same route several times.

One of the areas where this woman pushed her into high speeds, just a few months back, a pregnant woman lost control at the same turn due to high speed, and died in the impact into the ditch.. along with her unborn child.

Yes after a lot of these incidents and the comments here I am more seriously considering a dash cam. There is nothing but hearsay and accusations against other drivers that pull this shit, unless you have actual evidence of it. A dash cam video of guys like this pulling their stunts could have their licenses suspended at the very least.

• Like 1